Pain Under Upper Eyelid Surgery?

Hi. I'm having my upper eyelids done next week by a very skilled plastic surgeon. It will be under local anaesthetics with oral medication too. I will have removed skin and a little of fat. I haven't been worried before, but now I suddenly start to worry. My doctor said the local injection was the most "painful" part, but it only lasted a few seconds and that the fat removal could feel uncomftable but not painful and that was it. How much pain have you experienced with this surgery? Thanks!

Pain Under Upper Eyelid Surgery?

+2

Upper blepharoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia without much discomfort. Your surgeon was correct in that the only portion of the procedure that you will feel is the numbing injection. This usually takes less than one minute for the upper eyelids and you should not have any additional discomfort during the procedure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/blepharoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain Under Upper Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Local anesthesia can be used to perform upper eyelid surgery without much difficulty on the part of the surgeon or the patient.  This is virtually painless when injected appropriately.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and eyelid surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Upper-and-Lower-Eyelids.php

Blepharoplasty under local anesthesia

+1

An upper eyelid blepharoplasty can be readily performed under local anesthesia with oral sedation if desired.  If the patient feels any thing during the procedure more local anesthesia can be administered.    The peri-orbital fat can be sensitive but a little local anesthetic will easily solve this problem.  With oral sedation most patients, once they know that the surgery will not be painful generally fall asleep.  

Upper eyelids easily fixed under local anesthesia with sedation.

+1

I don't think you have much to worry about. The upper eyelids are fairly easy to do with oral sedation and local anesthesia. The lower eyelids are a little more tricky.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,22-atlanta-eyelid.htm

Blepharoplasty under local anesthesia

+1

eyelid surgery, whether the upper or lower blepharoplasty, is easily performed under local anesthesia and using IV sedation or general anesthesia is often times simply more risk, cost, and medication than is required. When I tell patients is that it's a bit like going to the dentist if you've ever had to get an injection to numb up your teeth for cavity. I patients tell me it's not actually that bad but it's true that generally the worst part is getting numbed up. I perform eyelid surgery under local anesthesia nearly every day of the week and while some patients are a bit nervous at first it's really never been an issue with regards to significant pain. Once your numb, your upper eyelid blepharoplasty will go smoothly. If you do feel discomfort during the surgery it's typically very mild and your surgeon can always add a little more anesthetic.

Chase Lay, MD

facial plastic surgeon and eyelid surgery specialist

Web reference: http://chaselaymd.com/Eyelid_Reconstruction.html

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon