Pain and Swelling 7 Months Post Op (Eyelid)

please help ! its almost 7 months since ive had ptosis surgery using the frontalis sling procedure ( palmaris longus tendon used ) and the brow is still stiff and swollen as is the eyelid. the eylid is a completely different shape than it should be , im not blinking properly, and the eye feels so dry in the morning even though ive tried all types of drops and gels. my surgeon says everything is fine but why does is feel and look so uncomfortable 7 months after surgery ?!?!?

Ask your surgeon how long eyelid will, should be swollen

+1

I think it's best for you to ask the surgeon that did your eyelid surgery how long you will or should be swollen. We don't know the extent of your surgery and can't advise you as well as your surgeon.

+1

Yes either post some photos or seek in person opinions as the next step in seeking an answer to your issues. 

Please send pictures

+1
You may have over correction and dry eyes. The use of the sling indicates that your levator muscle was not functioning or had poor movement. You should not have pain at this stage unless your have other problems like infection or conjunctivitis. See an opthomologist and send pictures please.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

A second opinion is warranted.

+1

Frontalis sling ptosis surgeries are only done were there is very little or no levator function in the ptotic eyelid.  A palmaris longus tendon is not commonly used by oculoplastic surgeons because they are generally not trained in the harvest of this material.  This makes me wonder if your ptosis surgery was performed by a general plastic surgeon rather than an oculoplastic surgeon.  If this is the case, then your surgeon may be satisfied with the mechanical opening of the eyelid and yet lack the ability to assess the overall details of the surgery such as excessive corneal drying due to exposure.  Exposure would lead to the discomfort you are describing.  

Also, I personally feel that frontalis suspension is best for children who have remarkable abilities to adapt to the surgery but often very poorly suited to adults.  For this reason, in adults, readily adjustable suspension materials tend to be used like silicone rods.  This mades it a simple matter to go back and tighten or loosen the suspending rod.  The tendon material is impossible to adjust after the fact.  Also a great deal of experience is needed to control the course of the suspension materials to get the mechanical forces right.  

I recommend that you see a very experienced university based oculoplastic surgeon.  You can email me through my website if you need suggestions of who to see.