Pain, Numbness and Swelling on Left Side 1 Month After Cheek Implant - Permanent?

I had bilateral cheek implants on 2/15/11. Left side has always been more swollen and painful than the right. My upper lip on the left side is slightly numb too.Incision line iside my mouth is finally beginning to heal (left side)4 weeks later after 2 rounds of antibiotics and prednisone. The implant on left side feels like it sits perfectly on cheek bone but the right side it is about 1-2cm lower. PS said he may have to redo, but to wait 3 weeks? Worried about numbness and swelling permanent?

Cheek Implants Can Take 3 - 6 Mos To Fully Heal

+2

Cheek Implants can take 3-6 months to fully heal...by that I mean for the tissues, of the cheek, to fully accomodate the cheek implants.  Temporary swelling and numbness is not unusual, although this should be improvong at 1 month post op.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Pain, Numbness, Swelling after Cheek Implant Placement

+1

Swelling after cheek implant placement will not be permanent. The nerve of sensation to the cheek and upper lip is large and usually identified during the operation. The relative numbness is probably secondary to the transient swelling or pressure from the implant that has moved. That implant can be repositioned.

Swelling after cheek implants

+1

Swelling is one of the problem with any implant surgery and will take several months to resolve. It is important to follow up with your surgeon on regular basis. A revision surgery will have to wait until swelling is down. During this period, numbness is expected.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain and numbness 1 month after Cheek Implant

+1

Hi,

The nerve to be concerned with in this case is the infra-orbital nerve which exits your cheek bone just under the eye. During a cheek implant, this nerve is usually exposed and preserved. It sound like the cheek implant on the left side has fallen out of place and is sitting lower than the right one. It could be that it is pushing on the nerve causing pain and numbness. It could also be that the nerve is just swollen from the surgery and will improve with time. Either way it sounds like you need to reposition the left cheek implant.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.facechange.org