Pain Under One Silcone Breast Implant After 25 Years, Should I Have a MRI?

Hi, I have had my Silcone Breast implants for 25 years and they have been perfect with no problems. Recently, I have a dull ache under my right implant and a stiff neck. I don't feel sick. I am a very active 51 year old woman of average weight and height. I am worried it is Cancer. I have a Mammogram on Dec. 1st. Should I have a MRI instead?? Thank You!

Breast exam

+1

The symptoms you describe can be almost anything including the flu, but you shoudl have ane xam to make sure that everything is ok. 

Breast and Breast Implant Evaluation?

+1

I am assuming you are under the care of a physician who is directing  the management of your breast evaluation. I would suggest you follow his/her recommendations including undergoing a mammogram scheduled. This mammogram along with self and physician breast exam hopefully will give you peace of mind regarding the breast cancer question.

Once you have had this question answered, evaluation by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is indicated. After examination options can be discussed. This may include the use of an MRI to evaluate the possibility of breast implant leakage. On the other hand, depending on physical exam findings, removal and replacement of the breast implants may be indicated,  given that there is a significant possibility of breast implant leakage after 25 years.