How Can Pain be Relieved AFter Lower Blepharplasty?

I have pain on one side of my face recently after Lower Blepharoplasty 5 Wks. ago.  The pain is a 3-4 at times and the area about 1/2 in. below my eye is raised and very tender. Two wks. after surgery the doctor removed the dissolvable stitches due to my having a reaction. At this time(for lack of medical terminology,he used a stitch which helped to support the outer eyelid. It is now three wks. since surgery and my eyelid is still red and my eye irritated. I was given steroid eye drops about 10 days ago. That helped for two days and then the burning started again.

Eyelid Surgery

+1

It is very hard to assess your problem as I do not know what work was done, the sutures used, and the specific approach.  I would ask your surgeon to ask if there is any retained suture present.  You may also need to see an opthamologist  if you have not done so yet.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

It’s difficult to comment about pain after surgery

+1

It’s difficult to comment about pain after surgery.  It may be that you had a reaction to the sutures.  Sometimes if the area is red or irritated, a 5-FU injection or a steroid injection may be helpful.  It sounds like the steroid drops are helpful.  It may be that the eyes are very dry and a preservative-free lubricating drop every half hour to an hour could be helpful, if that is the reason for the burning.  But if that does not resolve the burning, I would see an ophthalmologist.  If your doctor is not an ophthalmologist, then have them look at the eye to make sure it is not irritated.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Is Not Normally Painful

+1

Dear Silver1 in Glen Ellyn, IL:

Blepharoplasty is not normally painful. When there is pain after blepharoplasty, it often means something is wrong. Call your doctor and get seen.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Unclear picture of why yoiu're inpain after eyelid surgery

+1

It's not clear, from your description, what is causing your lump and pain after your eyelid surgery.  You should continue to follow the instructions given, to you, by your surgeon.  You may ask him/her for a referral to an opthalmologist to rule out corneal issues related to dry eye syndrome.

I would immediately contact and be seen urgently by your ophthalmologist.

+1

Given your history of corneal exposure related eyelid surgery, I would be very concerned that you have having corneal pain.  This might be a dry spot on the cornea.  However, it could be a potentially vision threatening corneal ulcer.  It is not normal to have eye pain 5 weeks after eyelid surgery.  Please call your ophthalmologist today.