Could Pain Be Related to Older Implant Due to Scar Tissue?

I had a lift and augmentation almost 5 years ago. I had a severe hematoma 10 days after surgery. My chest filled with blood I had to have immediate surgery. The implant has never moved the same on that side and I know there is alot of scar tissue. Recently, I have been experiencing a strange sharp pain under my clavicle and scapula especially when I breathe deeply and flex my chest muscle. Could this be related to the implant since it was so long ago?

Pain after hematoma following breast augmentation

+1

Blood in an implant pocket is very irritating to surrounding tissue as is a known cause of capsular contracture, even when the hematoma is evacuated right away.  It sounds as though this is the problem.  Revision of the pocket is probably indicated.

Capsular contracture

+1

It is likely that you have a capsular contracture. A formal exam would be essential to determine your problem. You may need to have further surgery.

Chronic Pain After Breast Augmentation

+1
Based on your story, I would assume that you developed an early capsular contracture (hardening of the scar tissue capsule surrounding the implant). Capsular contractures are more common if you have had a hematoma and it is surprising that surgical treatment has never been recommended. This is the most likely source of your pain and it can be treated through surgical removal of the capsule and replacement with a new breast implant. You should not expect it to get better on its own and I would encourage you to get treatment. Since the cause of your contracture is clear the chance of developing another one would be fairly low.

Joseph Fata, MD

Scar Tissue Around the Breast Implant: Capsular Contracture

+1

It sounds like you have a capsular contracture around the breast implant which is almost guaranteed with your history of a hematoma. This is gradual scar tissue formation around the breast implant which can be painful and can cause deformities of the breast, such as firmness and rippling. You should have a mammogram prior to any breast surgery and maybe even an MRI to look for rupture. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon about your breast problems so that a revision procedure can be planned. I hope this helps.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD