To Pain Pump or Not to Pain Pump After Full Lipoabdominalplasty?

My surgery is in 3 weeks so I have many questions and concerns! And although my doctor has been able to address most of concerns I really want to know from people who have had the procedure! Does the Q pain pump make that big of difference in recovery or is it just one more thing to have to deal with? secondly, what type of compression garment is best? I am going to be having lipo on the "bulge" just below my c-section scar so an underwear garment seems like it would be necessary. Suggestions?

Pain pumps help tremendously!

+4
In our practice we use pain pumps for all our tummy tucks and breast augmentations. They work! The best example would be a recent patient where i did tummy tuck and vaginal tightening. On the follow up visit the girl said her tummy tuck was much less uncomfortable than the vaginal tightening! Even though it was a much bigger surgery, it was less uncomfortable because for that part we used a pain pump! So i do believe that they work and are worth the extra cost

Against the pain pump

+3

There is no evidence to suggest that the pain pump is helpful.  At best it has a placebo type effect, but is probably not worth the additional costs.

I routinely use extensive numbing medication during the procedure, and my patients have a smooth recovery.  I have tried the pain pump and in the few patients we used it on, no difference vs. when we don't use it.

It is a nice idea, but nice ideas don't always work.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I do not do abdominal wall surgery.

+3

Dear Sicily

I personally only do abdominal liposuction and no body wall resection surgery.  I send the tummy tucks out to highly qualified and board certified general plastic surgeons.  This is one of those procedures that they were put on planet Earth to do.  There is an enormous difference between those patients who get the pump and those who do not.  Those who get the pump can get up and walk in hours after surgery!  This seems almost impossible for those who did not get the pump.  If there is an extra fee for the pump, boy it seems worth it.  The faster you get moving after surgery, the faster and less complicated your recovery.  My 2 cents.

Tummy tuck and pain pumps

+2

I do not routinely use pain pumps.  I find that local I inject as well as oral pain meds seem to do the trick.  The pain pump can help, but I do not think that it is that significant.  It is also an additional cost to the patient.  I usually recommend a compression girdle for patients.

Pain Pump with Abdominoplasty

+2

I have used the pain pump on a number of patients. My impression is that it works reasonably well. I offer it to all patients but only 50% use it. It needs to be placed properly to work well. Feedback is predominantly good but most patients still require oral pain medications. It is a little bit of work to wear the system but if you really want to reduce the amount of discomfort you will be having after surgery then I would recommend using it. Pressure garment would be recommended in my practice.

Jon F. Harrell, DO

To pain pump or not to pain pump after full lipoabdominalplasty

+2

My vote is against but I use infrequently depending on the case. Most patients complain about the cost added. Not the pain relief. Very interesting but S- - - - -! I think you will find a 50/50 vote. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Pain pumps for tummy tuck are not needed

+2

This as you will find is a very controversial topic, and the makers of the pain pump devices will be unhappy with me, however we have found over many years of practice pain pumps are of little use. The pain pump is a device that places a tube or catheter along the internal sutures and delivers small amounts of a local anesthetic mixture to help reduce the pain. In plastic surgery practice the pumps have been used in tummy tuck and breast augmentation. The pump delivers local anesthetics, not narcotics which act throughout the body. We have found oral pain medication far better than what the pain pump provides, and our patients hated the pump and the tube sticking out of the breast or the abdomen. It is better to be free of the contraptions so patients can move, breath, and get into the shower right away. This should make you feel better and do better in the short and long term. Note as well that most general surgeons have given up on them for hernia repair, etc. We do not use drains either for tummy tuck as they too slow down recovery.

peterejohnsonmd

Pain pumps and compression garments after tummy tuck and mons pubis lipo

+1

I highly advice the use of a pain pump for my patients. As for the lipo of the bulge, this is a difficult area to maintain compression for a few reasons. One is the possible presence of a drain. Another is the need for a personal hygiene orifice. Another is the difficult in applying adequate and not excessive pressure which could cause crease compression or ulceration. Ice compresses are also excellent for this purpose.