Pain and Pressure on Tragus After Mini Lift

7 weeks post op mini facelift. the ps made my incision behind my tragus (flap of skin in front of ear canal), which is completely healed. i have experienced great tension and pressure in this area from the first day of recovery. my tragus feel as if they are being pulled forward and will explode.

it creates internal swelling and impairs my hearing. will this subside as my skin stretches? it is making me crazy. my ps suggested i see a neurologist and/or an eye, nose and throat dr. my gp gave me nerve pain meds. please help me with your expertise.

Tragus

+1

The retrotragal incision is now the most popular approach to the anterior portion of a mini lift. The advantage being the breakup of the scar for camoflage. The disadvantage is the pulling forward of the tragal cartilage. I find it hard to believe that this would be the cause of any long term hearing loss. Be patient the sensation of puling will subside.

Tragus discomfort after mini-facelift

+1

Sutures are sometimes put around the tragus with a mini-facelift.  This may or may not cause discomfort. At 6 or 7 weeks it should really be ok,  check it out with your doctor to  make sure.

Pressure on tragus after mini face lift

+1

In any Face lift procedure the incision around the Tragus is mad. During the repair of the skin a normal looking tragus is important to prevent the tell tale signs of a face lift. Sutures are put above and below the tragus. If the suture is through the cartilage it may case inflamation and pain. The suture may last longer than expected depending on the suture type used.

It also could be scar causing the pain.

Time will heal this, meanwhile cortisone injection may help with the pain and the inflamation or scar.

Post-tragal incision minilift

+1

With this incision, a deep tragal suture is usually used to maintain a tragal dimple. The suture is usually non-permanent and will dissolve in time. By 7 weeks, the suture should be dissolving and sensation resolving.

You may have some scar tissue in the area or if the stitch is not reabsorbing for some reason.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS