Pain After Brite Smile

I had Brite Smile done at 11 am today, and the pain in my teeth is unbareable. It's now 11 hours later. Is there anything I can do?

Advil and warm gauze

+2

Certainly NSAIDs such as Advil will help to alleviate the pain. You can ask you dentist for MI paste or relief gel. These substantially help to relieve the sensitivity from the whitening. You can also try warm gauze on the teeth. Typically the sensitivity persists from 24 to 48 hours after the procedure and dissipates as time goes by.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Advil should do the trick!

+1

Most patients who receive the procedure do not experience any pain, but some do.  Wait 24-48 hours, and the pain should subside.  If it doesn't, Advil will help relieve the pain.  BriteSmile produces great results, but Deep Bleaching and KoR Whitening is better.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Beauty is pain

+1

My wife states this each time she wears uncomfortable shoes that look great...

Most sensitivity from bleaching comes from dehydration of the teeth. Many people are not affected (most teeth whitening patients report zero discomfort), but some ARE and it can be very painful. Normally, within 24-48 hours the teeth rehydrate and all is back to normal, but with whiter teeth.

Most treatment is palliative, meaning just treating symptoms. The "cure" really is just time...

I am not a great fan of BriteSmile, as I think the results are hit and miss. The pain may not be worth the result. I think other methods, especially "Deep Bleaching®" or "KoR® Whitening" has great results and would be worth the pain.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ibuprofen and High Fluoride toothpaste

+1

I would take ibuprofen to relieve the discomfort as well as use the high fluoride toothpaste. I give my patients this paste a week before to avoid these side effects and prefer the ZOOM procedure. Brite Smile has too much heat involved. If your symptoms persist more than 2 days, see your dentist. Also drink and eat everything with moderate temperature.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist