Pain and Numbness After Tumescent Liposuction

Everywhere I have read talks about quick painless lipo. I had lipo done at medispa, it took about 2 1/2 hours it was pretty unpleasant not really painful but defiantly unpleasant. Done Tues now Wed. My jawline and neck are very painful and numb like after dentist I have pain on either side of my chin with weakness on my left lower lip. Is all this normal is there a point to be concerned? Can anything speed up recovery especially of weakness.. Thank you so much ( a little freaked out)

+2

All your issues are mostly due to the operation and should resolve over time (weeks). This shows us the need for a understandable informed consent and why a doctors office covers these issues much better than a "spa" with a hired doc. 

Tumescent Lipo Questions

+2

The first thing I will comment on is that many "places" make claims that I do not feel are accurate.  Liposuction is surgery and is invasive.  Although some patients have minimal to no pain, my patients are told that there will be pain and discomfort, bruising, swelling, numbness and are told of the risks of surgery.  Elective surgery should be a pleasant experience.  Many of these medispas are not accredited surgery centers and therefore are not permitted to administer certain types of anesthesia.  I am sorry to hear your experience was not pleasant and it sounds like you had your surgery under local anesthesia.  Although many procedures can be done this way, it is not always in the best interest of the patient.  The biggest advantage for patients is the decreased cost since it is not done in a surgery center and you are not paying for an anesthesiologist.  The swelling could be normal but you need to make sure you do not have a hematoma which is a collection of blood.  The weakness of the lower lip sounds like a neuropraxia which means that the nerve is intact but not transmitting impulses.  This is temporary and should improve with time.  If the nerve was injured or cut, this may not improve.  Raise these questions with your surgeon and seek a second opinion if you feel necessary.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

What To Expect In Recovery Period Following Liposuction

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have pain and numbness following tumescent liposuction of the neck.  This usually results from swelling and trauma from the liposuction cannula.  In rare cases, the motor nerves that supply the lip muscles may be damaged as well.  This can cause lip weakness and asymmetry when patients smile.

In the vast majority of patients, these symptoms usually resolve spontaneously.  In most cases, swelling has resolved in 3 to 4 weeks, but occasionally may take as long as 3 to 4 months.  Lip weakness may take 3 to 4 months to resolve as well, but in some cases may be permanent.

It’s still early in the post-operative period, but in these symptoms fail to improve, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Lipo

+1

Rarely is lipo painless, and quick, unless there is little removed.  I would describe lipo as minimal discomfort with time dependent on the number of areas and amount of fat to be removed.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of face and neck

+1

There is a complication of weakness of a nerve that can be temporary, very rarely permanent, after liposuction on the face. jowls and neck. Soreness is very typical for some patients, regardless of the body site that undergoes liposuction.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/liposuction/index.html

Weak lower lip after neck lipo

+1

Sorry to hear about your problem... sometimes, a weak lower lip can be caused by an injury to a specific nerve, called the marginal mandibular branch of the nerve.  Usually, it's just bruised by the lipo cannula or affected by localized swelling, and a full recovery will occur, with return of your lip function.  It may take a good 6-8 weeks, though.  Unfortunately, there's no way to make that happen faster.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.