No Pain Meds, Post Breast Aug?

I am scheduled to have breast aug (rapid recovery) in 11 days and my ps does not believe in pain meds. I am beginning to panic as I am reading a lot of people needed strong pain killers for a few days post surgery. Is it normal to just rely on advil as he is instructing?

Do I need pain medication after breast augmentation.

+2

The so called quick recovery breast augmentation consist of mostly electro cautery dissection under direct visulisation and avoiding blunt dissection. I use this technique and I must admit that patients require less pain medicine after surgery. Pain medication is used only if it's needed and there is no harm giving the patient a prescription for a pain medication in case she has pain, as people's pain tolerence can vary. I am sure your doctor will agree to give you a prescription if you ask him.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Pain Medication

+2

If you are concerned about pain and he will not prescribe you pain medication you might want to ask about an injection called Exparel that helps numb the surgical area for up to 3 days after surgery.  Patients normally experience the greatest amount of pain in the first 3 days so this injection can help get you through to hardest part. Best of luck to you!

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Is pain medication required after breast augmentation surgery

+2

I would say that there is not set rule on whether or not pain medication is required after breast augmentation surgery. Patients have individualized needs for post op pain management and I have seen a wide spectrum over my years as a plastic surgeon. It is certainly possible that you would not require stronger pain medication than Advil. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask him/her if stronger pain medications would be available if you find that your pain is not adequately controlled with Advil or other over the counter pain medications.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Most of my patients do not need much pain medication after a breast augmentation.  Done correctly, it is not typically a very painful procedure.  However, if you are concerned, discuss this with your surgeon.  If you have reservations about needing stronger pain medication and not having any available, seek a second opinion.  Surgery and recovery are very individual.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Post medications

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

After breast surgery, your board certified plastic surgeon will usually prescribe pain medications such as Vicodin or Percocet and a muscle relaxant such as Valium. The Valium helps relax the muscle which may have rippled from being stretched by the implant. Your plastic surgeon may have a reason on why Advil would suffice for pain medication. It is important to discuss your post medications with your plastic surgeon or ask your pharmacist about any drug interactions. I advise that you consult with your board certified plastic surgeon and follow further post op instructions.

I have provided a link below for additional information and before and after pictures.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!
Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Pain Medications after Augmentation

+1

I would suggest you simply ask for a script for stronger pain pills just to have as a 'security blanket'  but with the steps we take these days to make the procedure as pain-free as possible don't be surprised if you find you don't need them

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Pain Meds following Breast Augmentation

+1

The method of breast augmentation I do is also rapid recovery. However, I give all my patients oral pain medications. These are generally used the first day, occasionally the second day and before bed for a day or so longer. Some patients use almost none of the medications and take Tylenol instead. I encourage my patients never to take Advil, Aleve, aspirin or other non-steroidal antiinflammatories as they increase the risk of bleeding or bruising. This varied need and the general inability to predict who will need what.is why I give all my patients pain meds.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need Pain Meds After BAM?

+1

Every surgeon is different and every patient is different.  If you are concerned, you should feel comfortable enough with your surgeon to ask for a stronger pain medication.  I have patients who are just fine taking Tylenol but others who need stronger.  Let your surgeon know your concerns.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

Hi,

That is an unusal approach!!! I would think your PS means, he doesnt usually think it is necessary. Certainly with an under the breast approach, only simple pain meds should be necessary. Remember many of the stronger pain killers can have significant side effects which can be worse than the pain!!!

Having said that no doctor wants their patient to be in pain, so if you do experience pain, then I would doubt very much that your PS would deny you the appropriate medication.

Good luck with your surgery

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Post-op pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

The pain felt post-op following a breast augmentation is usually very tolerable. The pain is often described more as tightness or pressure rather than sharp pain. Patients who have had children describe the pain as very much like the sensation of "your breast milk coming in after delivery." You should have no pain from your incisions. At the Centre for Plastic Surgery we use a long-lasting local anesthetic and we do give our patients prescriptions for pain medication and a muscle relaxer, but it is not uncommon for patients to use only a Tylenol/ibuprofen combination. I can certainly understand your apprehension regarding the pain you may experience but I am sure your Plastic Surgeon would give you medication to use as a back-up if needed.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon