No Pain Meds, Post Breast Aug?

I am scheduled to have breast aug (rapid recovery) in 11 days and my ps does not believe in pain meds. I am beginning to panic as I am reading a lot of people needed strong pain killers for a few days post surgery. Is it normal to just rely on advil as he is instructing?

Do I need pain medication after breast augmentation.

The so called quick recovery breast augmentation consist of mostly electro cautery dissection under direct visulisation and avoiding blunt dissection. I use this technique and I must admit that patients require less pain medicine after surgery. Pain medication is used only if it's needed and there is no harm giving the patient a prescription for a pain medication in case she has pain, as people's pain tolerence can vary. I am sure your doctor will agree to give you a prescription if you ask him.

Pain Medication

If you are concerned about pain and he will not prescribe you pain medication you might want to ask about an injection called Exparel that helps numb the surgical area for up to 3 days after surgery.  Patients normally experience the greatest amount of pain in the first 3 days so this injection can help get you through to hardest part. Best of luck to you!

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

That is an unusal approach!!! I would think your PS means, he doesnt usually think it is necessary. Certainly with an under the breast approach, only simple pain meds should be necessary. Remember many of the stronger pain killers can have significant side effects which can be worse than the pain!!!

Having said that no doctor wants their patient to be in pain, so if you do experience pain, then I would doubt very much that your PS would deny you the appropriate medication.

Good luck with your surgery

Is pain medication required after breast augmentation surgery

I would say that there is not set rule on whether or not pain medication is required after breast augmentation surgery. Patients have individualized needs for post op pain management and I have seen a wide spectrum over my years as a plastic surgeon. It is certainly possible that you would not require stronger pain medication than Advil. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask him/her if stronger pain medications would be available if you find that your pain is not adequately controlled with Advil or other over the counter pain medications.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Pain Medication for Breast Augmentation?

“Don’t I need pain meds?” is a common question asked by women who are getting set to have a rapid recovery breast augmentation. If the surgeon understands the concept of MEAT or motion, exercise, anti-inflammatories and treatment if required, then the answer to your question is a resounding NO. That is not quite true as anti-inflammatories are in fact a pain medication but not the type that are commonly prescribed after surgery, the narcotics. Virtually all the breast cases that I perform are prescribed the MEAT protocol and they all do very well with just a basic over the counter medication like Aleve. In fact, we also use this protocol for tummy tucks and have not had to prescribe anything stronger than Aleve for these patients as well. The secret is motion. We get patients moving, stretching and exercising within 2 hours of their surgery and they say when they stop moving is when they hurt a little.

I have added a video about all of this for you as well as a web link.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Waking up With Minimal Pain after Breast Augmentation

I personally do not use Advil prior to or within days after of a Breast Augmentation as Ibuprofen, aspirin and other NSAIDS have been linked to excessive bruising and bleeding after surgery.

After Breast Augmentation,most of my  patients wake up reasonably comfortable - there is a reason for this - the use of intraoperative injection of local anesthetic into the surgical area and muscles being repaired.
For most of my patients, I use Celebrex and Acetominophen (does not make you drowsy and less chance of nausea) plus intraoperative use of Exparel. Exparel is a very long-acting local anesthetic that lasts approximately 3 or more days following injection and great for Tummy Tucks and other surgeries. Not only does it prevent pain but also most muscle spasms. It lasts the same length of time that a pain pump lasts and will therefore take the place of a pain pump. This means patients can enjoy the same effect of a pain pump, but without any catheters and no pain pump to carry around.
Exparel will be available for those concerned about minimizing discomfort after surgeries such as tummy tuck and breast augmentation.
Exparel costs the same as a pain pump and produces the same result but with less hassle and works great.
Narcotics are used only as needed (as cause nausea, vomiting and constipation as frequent sided effects).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Pain after breast augmentation

Most of my patients do not need much pain medication after a breast augmentation.  Done correctly, it is not typically a very painful procedure.  However, if you are concerned, discuss this with your surgeon.  If you have reservations about needing stronger pain medication and not having any available, seek a second opinion.  Surgery and recovery are very individual.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Post medications

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

After breast surgery, your board certified plastic surgeon will usually prescribe pain medications such as Vicodin or Percocet and a muscle relaxant such as Valium. The Valium helps relax the muscle which may have rippled from being stretched by the implant. Your plastic surgeon may have a reason on why Advil would suffice for pain medication. It is important to discuss your post medications with your plastic surgeon or ask your pharmacist about any drug interactions. I advise that you consult with your board certified plastic surgeon and follow further post op instructions.

I have provided a link below for additional information and before and after pictures.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Pain Medications after Augmentation

I would suggest you simply ask for a script for stronger pain pills just to have as a 'security blanket'  but with the steps we take these days to make the procedure as pain-free as possible don't be surprised if you find you don't need them

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Pain Meds following Breast Augmentation

The method of breast augmentation I do is also rapid recovery. However, I give all my patients oral pain medications. These are generally used the first day, occasionally the second day and before bed for a day or so longer. Some patients use almost none of the medications and take Tylenol instead. I encourage my patients never to take Advil, Aleve, aspirin or other non-steroidal antiinflammatories as they increase the risk of bleeding or bruising. This varied need and the general inability to predict who will need why I give all my patients pain meds.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon