Pain Management from Tummy Tuck Surgery

I had a tummy tuck 3 yrs ago. Last year i had lapascopy surgery on my tummy, then I also had to have my gallblader removed. One month after my last surgery I started having sever pain in my lower abdomine. I went to several doctors and had every test done and no doctors have been able to find the problem. I was sent to a Pain management doctor, and was told I have nerve damage from all my surgeries. Pain doctor tried several diffrent blocks and tried to pinn point wich nerves were causing so much pain. He has inplanted a stimulator in my spin with a battery pack to be able to increase the stimulation on the nerves that hurt. Now after 8 months. I keep the stimulator on high but my pain has gotten worse but i can still feel the stimulator. I am so tired of this pain and doctor telling me their is nothing eles he can do. I feel there is a doctor out there some where that can help me. I want to get back to a normal life without pain.

Seek a second opinion from a pain specialist

+4

I agree with Dr. Rosenberg. You may want to obtain a second opinion from an individual with experience in nerve entrapment. This may require a series of disgnostic nerve blocks to determine which nerve is the source of your pain. Once it can be identified, it can be repaired, released, resected, or buried.

There is hope for tummy tuck pain

+3

I am so sorry to hear about your pain after a tummy tuck. You like have had injury to the ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, or genitofemoral nerve. This is not an uncommon problem after a tummy tuck. The peripheral nerve stimulator only masks the pain and does not take it away. You likely need to have another surgery to remove those nerves. There are specialists in peripheral nerve surgery, such as myself, who can help you.

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Long term pain unlikely the result of former tummy tuck.

+1

Your problem is very difficult.  You have had a number of operations any of which could have secondary unwanted side effect, in your case, pain.  If  all the tests are non-diagnostic, it is unlikely that an operation will help you.  Operations that explore for unknown causes of pain are almost always unsuccessful.  I am sorry I don't have a magic recommendation.  I would only suggest that you seek another opinion.  Good luck.

Abdominal pain after tummy tuck

+1

You describe several abdominal operations after your tummy tuck and anyone of these may be causing pain. Did you have pain after the initial tummy tuck? This is an important factor. Causes of abdominal pain after intra-abdominal surgery are numerous, from hernias to adhesions or scarring around the intestines. The specific nerve pains from ilioinguinal/genitofemoral/iliohypogastric often arise from neuromas or scarring in the nerves. This may be diagnosed by a selective block of the particular nerve. If a local block of the nerve relieves the pain, then it is likely that a neuroma is present. There are several techniques to either release the nerve from scar tissue or to simply cut the nerve and bury it into muscle to prevent recurrence. Using narcotics and pain pumps will mask the pain to a degree, however, often times the continual use begins to decrease in its effectiveness. I recommend seeing both a general surgeon to rule out any intraabdominal issues as well as a peripheral nerve specialist (often times a neurosurgeon or plastic surgeon).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Persisitent pain

+1

I am sorry to hear that you are having so much discomfort. I would agree with some of the other opinions that you should probably seek a second opinion from a pain specialist.