Pain Management After Tummy Tuck

I am desperate for help! I had Tummy Tuck 19 months ago and almost immediately began having a horrible burning sensation in my lower abdomen (but the skin is still numb). My surgeon did not take me seriously and even went as far as to say he'd never seen this happen before. I've had another surgeon inject Lidocaine into my stomach, tried neurontin, lyrica (with horrible side effects) and am now on keppra (again horrible side effects) and 2 lortabs a day. I've been to Cleveland Clinic and they say a neurostimulator is my only alternative left. Is there anyone out there who can offer me any help? I would be so grateful!

Pain after abdominoplasty

+1

It sounds like you are having quite an unusual issue after tummy tuck surgery. I also have never had a patient with this type of response. This must be frustrating for both you and your plastic surgeon. It would be helpful to know if you had a neuroma that could be surgically improved. Otherwise, pain management with a pain specialist (usually a specialized anesthesiologist) would be my suggestion. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Management of pain after tummy tuck

+1

You may want to get another opinion from a pain specialist who can perform a diagnostic nerve block. You may also want  to consider seeing other specialists in nerve entrapment pain management.

Combined surgical and pain managment approach

+1

Sorry to hear about all your pain. It seems that you had a good workup done and also a good advice regarding pain managment. What was the diagnosis (neuroma, nerve entrapment, etc.)?

The best approach to this problem is a combined surgical and pain managment approach. In specific situations, surgery to relieve a nerve or a neuroma could help.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS