Pain Level for Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck?

Will a Tummy Tuck and Breast augmentation be too much pain to handle?

Augmentation with abdominoplasty

+2

I frequently perform an augmentation at the same time as an abdominoplasty; in fact, I call this a "Mommyplasty" or a "Mommy-Makeover." Very few patients think this combined procedure is too painful and the majority can go back to work in an office within a 10 days. Obviously, some patients have a more difficult time, but I don't remember a healthy patient regretting the procedure.

Mostly well tolerated with appropriate pain management

+2

I would recommend using a pain pump, adequate ongoing and as-needed pain medications. May need assistance with getting in and out of bed for 3-5 days. If you have young children, you will not be able to hold them tight or pick them up for at least 2-4 weeks.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

With proper pain medication, it should not be too painful

+2

Breast augmentation if usually not too painful, especially if a muscle relaxant and pain medication are given and properly used. Usually the majority of pain subsides after a couple of days.

A Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is definitely more painful than breast augmentation. Most patients compare the pain to that of a c-section. Again with proper pain medication, usually combined with a light muscle relaxant; most patients will find the pain to be tolerable.

Lane Smith, MD

Combined procedures are typically well tolerated

+1

Many patients find that combining breast augmentation with tummy tuck more convenient since the recovery time is combined.  My patients who have these combined procedures do very well provided they have some help during the first few days after surgery, particularly if they have a young family.  Post operative pain is easily controlled with oral medication and driving is restricted until the medications are discontinued, which is usually in 3-5 days.  This, of course, may vary depending on the individual and the type of breast augmentation or tummy tuck  that is performed, particularly if there is extensive repair of the  diastasis (separation of the rectus abdominis muscles). If you have a limited tummy tuck, the recovery period will most likely be easier. For either procedure, I tend to be more liberal in my post-operative restrictions than some surgeons.  Patients are advised to avoid lifting over 25 - 35 pounds during the first week, and for tummy tucks, no heavy lifting over 50 pounds or straining to lift for 6 weeks.  This typically does not preclude parents from lifting their young children during the early post operative period.  Although I dislike the term "Mommy Makeover" I have many patients of all ages who find combining procedures to be more convenient and often more cost effective than scheduling them at separate times.  I wouldn't let concern about excessive pain keep you from combining the procedures.  It can be controlled and may be less than you anticipate.  Good luck to you.   

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon