Will I Have Pain/irritation from my Drain Sites?

Most of the discomfort comes from the muscle repair and skin tightening, but, yes, some at the drain sites. Most drains are designed to be removed easily with little discomfort. 

Best to discuss the particulars with your surgeon. 

All the best. 

There may be some irritation around a drain site.  Usually, the drains are pulled without an issue.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I do see about 30-40% of my patients complain of rather minor discomfort from the drain site. The main pain comes from the muscle repair.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Drain Irritation

You will have tenderness for the first several days until the drains are removed.  Normally, the surgeon will anchor the drain with a "suture". After the drain is removed, you may have a small amount of drainage for up to 24 hours.  You may also notice some mild irritation or itching around the area as it heals.  This is temporary.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Painful Drain Sites

Sometimes the drain sites do become somewhat irritated as evidenced by redness around the sites.  However, few patients actually complain about pain at the sites.  Instead, they mostly find the drains a nuisance more than anything.  Be sure that the staff provides you with a good drain care education and you will most likely find that having drains are a minor part of your overall surgical experience.

Tummy tuck drain sites

The site may be a little tender while the drains are in, but after they are removed, you shouldn't have any discomfort from them. I have never had a patient complain of late pain from the drain sites.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Drain is usually not necessary after abdominoplasty.

Placement of drains will create some irritation in pain at the point of insertion. I seldom use drains with abdominoplasty.

Will I Have Pain/irritation from my Drain Sites after Tummy Tuck?

Some patients report that they have discomfort associated with drains;  most simply state that they find the drains "irritating”.  Most of the discomfort associated with stomach tuck surgery is related to the abdominal wall muscle plication.

This is a common complaint and one reason I pull drains at 1 week. They seem to really bother some patients. They are easy to remove and just slide out.

Drains with an abdominoplasty

It is common practice to place a drain when performing an abdominoplasty.  Some surgeons are forgoing the drains by using progressive tension sutures or quliting sutures.  If a drain is used it can be some what irritating but it is definitely manageable.