How Much Pain is Involved with a Neck Lift?

Will it feel like a bruise? Will it throb, or just tingle?

Pain after Neck Lift?

+2

Neck lifting surgery is a very well-tolerated procedure. However, like every procedure there will be patients who report “no pain” and others who report significant discomfort. Minimizing activity that increases blood flow to the area will also help minimize swelling and  potential “throbbing”. For example,  keep your head elevated after surgery may help decrease swelling and resulting discomfort.

You should also expect some numbness in the area of dissection that may last for many months.

Minimal pain after a neck lift

+2

A neck lift is basically the front part of a facelift.  It is real surgery but usually is associated with very tolerable pain.  Most patients can do well with Tylenol after.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Neck Lift: Minimal Pain and Recovery

+1

In my practice in New York and Long Island, our neck lift patients report very little discomfort after I perform a neck lift surgery. There is typically a small amount of bruising and swelling post-surgery, and necklift patients can sometimes return to work in as soon as a week. Also, we perform neck lift surgery under local anesthesia with light IV sedation (as opposed to general anesthesia) so it is a safer method and comfortable for the patient, and the recovery time is quicker with less downtime.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pain after Necklift

+1

The Neck Lift involves minimal post-operative discomfort. Pain medication is prescribed, but it is unlikely it will be needed for more than a day or two following your procedure. Most patients return to work or social activities ten to fourteen days after surgery. Strenuous physical exercise should be avoided for four to six weeks following a neck lift as it can trigger swelling thus causing pain.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after neck lift

+1

It depends on how extensive your neck lift is but it can typically require 1-2 days of prescription pain medications for the average patient.  The most common feeling is 'tightness' as opposed to sharp pain

Sam Naficy, MD

Pain with a neck lift

+1

I think the answer to this question depends on your surgeon's technique.  I RARELY have patients who complain of pain after this procedure.   In fact, I honestly cannot recall where this has ever been a problem. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Necklift and pain

+1

Most of my patients tolerate neck lift procedures very well. You essentially have three anesthetic options. You can do the procedure under general anesthetic. General anesthetic ensures that you will not experience any pain during the procedure however, it does prolong the recovery when compared with other options. At least in my experience. In my opinion general anesthesia is overkill for an isolated neck lift procedure.

Conscious sedation is a second option. Conscious sedation uses sedating medication through an IV and allows your level of sedation to be controlled throughout the case. Most patients tolerate this type of anesthetic well however, compared with local anesthetic, your recovery will be a bit more prolonged.

Local anesthetic is a great option for a neck lift procedure. The advantage of local anesthetic includes a better safety profile for the patient, and a quicker recovery time. A few things to think about if considering doing it under local anesthetic include whether or not you have neck or back pain, anxiety or panic disorder, or restless leg syndrome. Patients who experience the above may have a less than desireable experience when doing the case under local and should be made fully aware of what to expect during the case.

In my experience, patients rarely complain about post-operative pain. Vicodin is usually more than adequate to cover the pain. As long as you are not taking blood thinning medications or supplements your bleeding and swelling should resolve without complication. Keep in mind that although it is less invasive than a facelift it is still a surgery and there is down time involved. Compliance with pre and post-operative instructions is very important.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck lift pain

+1
It is important to remember that everyone handles pain differently. Most of my patients categorize neck and facelifts are "uncomfortable" rather than painful. Patients need to be supported with adequate pain medication, beginning with prescription medication and then stepping down to non-prescription items. Also, it is extremely important not to fall behind the pain by trying to delay dosages, especially in the first 2-3 days postoperatively.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Neck lifts can be uncomfortable so it is the price that you might have to pay to get it done

+1

But there are ways to make it is so that it is not quite so uncomfortable for you. You have to go to a doctor that will take the necessary steps to make sure that you are not as uncomfortable.  There are ways to add anesthesia to the end of the case to make sure that you have a smooth transition in the post procedure period and giving you pain medications so that you are controlled before it kicks in. Proper instruction for the post care is crucial! Below is a video for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild discomfort after neck lift

+1

Neck lifts involve freeing the skin of the neck, sometimes thinning the underlying fat either with liposuction or directly, and usually a tightening procedure to the platsyma muscle underneath the skin.  The skin is then "redraped' in a cosmetically "concealed" way so as not to see the incision lines.  There is expected brusing and swelling but pain is not a usual complaint.  I think sometimes in the first few days there may be some mild discomfort with extreme head turning or jaw opening but I instruct my patients to be very "gentle" with head turning in the first 2 weeks after neck lift.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS