Pain in Both Breasts After Breast Lift + Saline Implants 19 Years Ago?

For the past 13 years I've had some pain. But now the pain is horrible. I can't sleep on my side at all because of sharp pains, when I lean down to pick something up I have sharp pains. I look in the mirror and on the sides I have what looks like holes scattered. Will I need to have these implants taken out? Any advice I would appreciate.

Breast pains years after augmentation

+2

can occur but its a sign you need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon.  A list of things could be occurring and it takes a history and exam to help determine the cause.  And sometimes, a cause can't be found and removing implants may be the only answer at this time.  See your surgeon or another local plastic surgeon.

Problems with implants and breast pain

+2

You problems could be related to thinning of the skin after having the implants in place for 19 years.  This may be placing pressure on the nerves causing some discomfort.  It is also possible that you are developing a capsular contracture.  An examination is needed. 

Breast pain

+2

Pain is a difficult thing to assess without an examination.  I would suggest that you see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation of the cause of your pain.  The "holes" on the sides of your breasts that you describe could be from scalloping at the edge of your implants.  There is not much tissue coverage over implants on the outside of the breasts so this is where such scalloping can usually be seen.  Again, it may be time to see your plastic surgeon for a check-up so he/she can evaluate these issues and discuss your options.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

PAIN

+2

Sound horrible, pain can be due to a number of factors but first and foremost you need to rule out any underlying breast pathology. I would suggest seeing your primary care doctor in order to start the process of imaging and referral to a breast surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

+1

Without pictures it is hard to give a guess. You may have capsular contracture which can be very painful. Otherwise an exam is in order so see a PS.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Pain in Breasts After Implants

+1

Thank you for the question. I would recommend you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination. The pain can be from a number of reasons and your surgeon will be able to develop a treatment plan to best address your pain.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD