Pain & Healing Process in Removing a Mole?

How long will my skin take to heal when I get a flat mole removed. (my doctor said the only way to remove flat moles is to cut deep because it's in the skin) How bad will it hurt and what kind of scar will I get?

Healing after mole removal

+1

The length of time it takes to heal from a mole removal depends on what area of the body we are talking about.  Typically moles on the face and neck heal very quickly (7-10days) while those on the legs and feet take much longer (3-4 weeks).  There will be redness at the site after the healing is complete but that will subside in time.  Pain will likely be minimal and is mostly just due to the discomfort from use of local anesthesia injection prior to the procedure.  Scarring is typically minimal but do tell your doctor if you have a history of keloid or hypertrophic scar formation from prior procedures.  There are always lasers and injections that can be performed if you don't like your scar.  Best of luck. 

Seattle Dermatologist

Treatment for a flat mole

+1

Flat moles can often be easily removed using a shave excision technique that typically results in a minimal scar. With this method, the mole is actually shaved off at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. The procedure typically takes less than a minute and is painless after a tiny injection to numb the area. I would recommend having this treatment done by a board certified dermatologist as they are the experts in doing shave excisions.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon