Explant Under Local Anesthetic

I have 3 questions: 1. What should I expect in regards to the the pain level for explant under a local? 2. What should I expect for recovery time? 3. In many responses to "sagging" after explant many MDs talk about "amount of breast tissue" ...is it better to have minimal breast tissue or much. I was a 32D prior to implant, wanted volume, implanted 350cc silicone and now 34DD. I believe I have a good deal of breast tissue. Just curious how that will effect me. Thanks!

Breast shape after breast implant removal

+4

This procedure can be done under local anesthesia with minimal pain and discomfort.  It is beneficial if you have more breast tissue or size before your implants were inserted.  You may need a breast lift in the future once the skin shrinks and contracts, but this should be delayed at least 6 months after the implants are removed (if needed). Hopefully all you will need is removal of implants and your skin/tissue will fill in the space left by the 350cc implant.

Dr.Bruno

Breast Implant Removal

+4

If you want explantation of breast implant, then you have to think of renoving the capsule, and this can not be done under local anesthesia . May be under local with sedation.

Recovery with capsulectomy is 2-3 weeks.

If you do not do the capsulectomy then the pocket have the potential of filling with fluid necessetating another surgery.

If the implants are under the breast above the muscle then the capsule will restrict the breast tissue.

Explore multiple opinions, DO THE RIGHT SURGERY NOT THE CHEAPEST, OR MOST CONVENIENT.

Explant under Local Anesthesia?

+2

If all that is being done is removal of the implants ( no capsule work)  then they may be safely and comfortably removed under local anesthesia for  a relatively calm patient. I generally individualize the type of anesthesia to be used based on the specific patient's  personality and  situation.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be helpful.

Removal of breast implants...what to expect.

+2

As long as the local is done well, you should have minimal pain, but make sure you get pain meds just in case.  It's difficult to day what you'll look like afterward without seeing your before and after photos.  The recovery will most likely be 5-7 days from work and 2 weeks from exercise.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Implant removal under local anesthesia

+2

Implant removal, when the implant is intact in the case of a gel implant, is very possible under local anesthesia with minimal or no discomfort. It is a good choice followed be a very gentle recovery.

peterejohnsonmd

Issues relating to explantation of 350cc silicone breast implants

+2

You could have an explantation either under local anesthesia of with sedation along with local anesthesia. The discomfort should not be very much particularly if you are given some sedation. Recovery should be quite benign with little discomfort.

What will happen to your breasts depends on several factors including your skin tone/elasticity, age, if the implants are above or below your muscle and how long that they have been in for. It may take up to a year after your explantation for the skin to maximally tighten up to see the final outcome.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Implant Removal

+2

Removing a breast implant under local anesthesia is possible but may be more comfortable with sedation.  If a capsulectomy is needed, it is more invasive and may need more extensive anesthesia. 

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+2

The answers depend somewhat on how well you tolerate discomfort and how easy the implants are to remove.

1. If you have implants that are covered by a thin later of tissue, the well be easier to remove under local anesthesia.
  2. Recovery is typically very fast and there is only slight discomfort for  a few days - much less than the procedure to place the implants.
  3. It is hard to predict if your breasts will sag so you should give it at least 6 months to see how things look.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Explantation under local

+1

Explantation of breast implants can possibly be done under local depending upon the complexity of the removal, and the pain tolerance of the patient.  I prefer sedation, I think that it is more comfortable that way.