Serious Pain Not Diminishing One Week After Augmentation -- Unusual?

My wife had her augmentation surgery six days ago, Wednesday. Silicone implants, 300cc in one breast, 255cc in the other. She was prescribed oral Keflex (antibiotic), Valium, Vicodin, and arnica, which she took. The first couple of days were OK. But over the weekend she started getting very tired (sleeping 18+ hours), and then yesterday (Monday) we realized she is running a 100 degree fever. Now she needs the meds to sleep again and is in more pain than last week! How unusual is this?

Fever after breast enlargement

+1

Thank you for your question about your wife's healing after breast enlargement.

• Pain after breast enlargement can last weeks. But it should improve, not worsen. 
  • Days after surgery, developing fever, increasing fatigue, increasing pain and increasing need for pain medicines is not normal healing. 
  • Your wife should see her breast enlargement surgeon promptly to be evaluated. 

Complication after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your description of the events that have transpired for your spouse after  breast augmentation is concerning.  Increased pain, increased fatigue, and low grade fevers are  all suggestive of a potential complication. I would suggest immediate follow-up with your plastic surgeon for evaluation.

Things usually get better not worse a week after augmentation

+1

Most ladies continue to improve after the first few days after surgery.  You are describing several concerning symptoms including being very tired, having a fever, and needing more pain medicine than before.  I would tell you to call your surgeon (even over a holiday weekend) and discuss these concerns and perhaps even be seen by him/her at the Emergency Room if necessary to make sure you do not have something bad (like an infection) going on.  My typical patients continue to improve after 2 or 3 days, and any setback like this warrants a visit to make sure that everything is ok.   Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon