Post-op Breast Augmentation Pain - What is It Like?

I would like to know what is the pain comparable too in a moderate to severe case? I am considering a breast augmentation but hesitate because of the unknown pain post op. I've gotten mixed reviews of pain after surgery, some compare to gorged breast, after child delivery, some say excruciating pain. What is to be expected after a breast augmentation?

Breast Augmentation Pain

+1

Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance but most patients will be back to work in a few days if they have a desk job. So the pain usually isn't too severe.

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

Pain is always experienced differently by different individuals. Pain after breast augmentation is mostly caused by stretching of the pectoral muscle. This will be affected by the tightness of your muscle, the way it joins the rib cage, and the size of your implants. Bigger implants obviously cause more stretch. Most pain occurs in the first few days, and then settles to feeling like engorgement with nursing or before one's period.

Your pain can be reduced by selecting and implant size that is appropriate for your body frame, having your surgeon inject Marcaine around the breast prior to incision, using a pain pump, adding muscle relaxers to your post-op pain med, avoiding a tight garment, keeping your activity level gentle, and gentle early massage.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Is augmentation pain like a work-out, a punch or a truck?

+1

I have heard all three.  Some people barely slow down.  I have to argue with them to keep them out of the gym.  Others (with more pain) are easily convinced to take it easy.  This is the majority.  They say they feel as if they have been punched in the chest, twice.  Lastly, some suffer quite a bit, especially if gastrointestinal problems don't let them use the pain medication enough.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

Pain after Breast augmentation is normal and is handled with prescribed narcotics and/or valium. Pain is very variable from patient to patient but I recommend taking at least one week off of work. Pain  also varies with the size , placement of the implant, and skin quality. Someone with very little and tight skin will have more pain with a 500 cc implant than someone with loose skin. Breast implants placed in the submuscular pocket are a little more painful than breast implants placed in the subglandular pocket. Breast implants placed through a transaxillary incision are in general a little more painful than implants placed through an inframammary incison or periareolar incision.

In summary , the pain is not too bad and is controlled with narcotics for up to a week.

Leo Lapuerta MD

Triple Board Recertified Plastic Surgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Post-Op Pain

+1

Post-operative pain varies from patient to patient. I find that my patients experience 1-2 days of pressure and soreness. The soreness being comparable to muscle soreness after a high intensity workout and the pressure feeling like a 10lb weight is sitting on your chest. It is tolerable pain and can be managed through prescribed pain medication which you will receive.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD