1 Week After Wisdom Teeth Removal, Pain in Cheekbone and Jaw? (photo)

Hello I have my all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and I am still in pain. From last 2 days i.e. On day 6 after wisdom teeth removal, I am having pain in Cheek bone and jaw. I am in comfort zone as far as I am taking ibuprofen. the pain starts exactly after 8 hrs of my first 800 mg ibuprofen. I am just confused, Is that a symptom of infection?

Dry Socket From Wisdom Teeth Removal

+2

IT sounds like you have what is called "dry socket".  The correct term is acute alveolar osteitis.  This is caused by the loss of the blood clot in the area of the extracted tooth within the first few days after surgery.  I instruct my pts not to use sttraws or spit for one week, I also instruct them not to use sucking actions like candies, lollipops, icepops etc.  IT is the suction which dislodges the clots.  Also if you pack food into the socket this will dislodge the clot.  IT is most likely not infection if there is no swelling.  The symptoms you describe are classic for dry socket.  Radiating pain to ear , temple and cheek, pain of adjacent teeth and jaw, foul taste and smell are possible as well.

This is easliy resolved by your oral surgeon with a dry socket dressing.  Give tehm a call to have this issue taken care of

If all is well, the extractions may have been difficult and this just may be prolonged surgical pain.  Either way see your oral surgeon

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Could be a dry socket. Call the doctor that took your teeth out.

+2

You need to call the doctor that did the porcedure and have them see you right away. Most likely it is a dry socket but it could be an infection.

Either way, after 4 wisdom teeth you should have been given antibiotics. Dry sockets will heal by themselves after one week but a sedative dressing can be placed to help with the pain.

good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Pain in Wisdom Teeth area 1 week after extractions

+2

I would advise you to go back to the oral surgeon to evaluate for infection or for possible "dry-socket". Both conditions could cause severe pain. It also might be the normal healing process. Let the surgeon decide for sure.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after Extraction of wisdom teeth

+1
Poss dry socket. Looks like you also have a nasty aphthous ulcer back there, this is pretty painful too. You need to make a dental visit and have it further evaluated.

Sandra M. Low, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist