Pain After Breast Implants

It has been about a week and a half since my surgery. Most of my pain in my breasts has subsided but about two days ago a pain below my right breast right along my rib cage has been really hurting. It feels like a bruise, but there is no sign of bruising and it started happening 2 days ago. Normal?

Pain after Breast Aug

+2

This is not uncommon at all.  Remember, you were relatively inactive after your surgery and now you are doing more using your arms much more, probably back at work.  It is totally normal to feel like this and if you didn't have implants you would think nothing of it.  If it does persist and it is interfering with you activity then call your doctor just to be reassured.  Good luck

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Intermittent Breast pains are common while healing from surgery.

+2

It is most likely just a normal part of the healing process. It's not uncommon to have new areas of discomfort as you begin to feel better and start to move a little more or as the implants begin to settle. But just to be safe, you should talk to your surgeon about this and let him/her check you out to be sure all is well.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Pain after breast enlargement

+2

One week out from surgery is not unusual to experience pain in areas which did not hurt before. If your implants are under the muscle, you can experience pain for a longer time. The area that you describe your pain along the rib cage is more sensitive due to the close dissection over the ribs. You might experience some inflammation of the rib cartilage or as the n erves are recovering from the stretching of the tissues over the implant you have more feeling returning. This is all temporary and will subside with time. You may ice the area for symptomatic relief.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Breast Implants

+1

It is normal to have a range of different pain sensations in the weeks following augmentation and in all likelihiid this is of no import. However, you should bring it to the attention of your surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

At two weeks you are still early post-operatively, and weird pain sensations are fairly normal for the first few weeks to months.

PAIN AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

+1

It is common to have recurrent pain within the first 1-2 months after breast augmentation.  However, it is always best to have your surgeon evaluate you, to rule out other possibilities such as infection.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Everybody is different but this sounds well within normal limits.  Please call your surgeon for a check just to be sure though.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Discomfort after Breast Augmentation

+1

The pain from Breast Augmentation surgery depends on multiple factors such as the patient's own tolerance for pain, the way the pocket for the implant was created (precisely with the cautery or bluntly tearing it with fingers or another object ), extent of blood in the pocket, any injury to the underlying cartilages of the ribs, extent of the under the muscle pocket and the size of the implant, among others. Using gentle precise technique GREATLY reduces post-surgical Breast Augmentation pain and using a long-lasting numbing medication further reduces the pain.

The more the woman does in the first 7-14 days after the surgery, the more the pain will re-appear. But this is a short lasting event which is related to inflammation.

lastly over a month after surgery some women may mention feeling "strange" skin sensation which are related to nerve regeneration and soon goes away as well.

Pain after breast implants

+1

First this sounds completely normal. But we do not know you CALL your surgeon to discuss or be seen. That is what I would want my post operative patient to do. CALL!

From MIAMI DR. B

Post-augmentation Pain

+1

The pain that you describe certainly is not unusual. It is quite common to have pain which waxes and wanes 10 days following an augmentation.  You should report it to your surgeon, however, at your next visit to make certain of the cause.

John Whitt, MD