Pain After Breast Implants

It has been about a week and a half since my surgery. Most of my pain in my breasts has subsided but about two days ago a pain below my right breast right along my rib cage has been really hurting. It feels like a bruise, but there is no sign of bruising and it started happening 2 days ago. Normal?

Pain after breast enlargement

One week out from surgery is not unusual to experience pain in areas which did not hurt before. If your implants are under the muscle, you can experience pain for a longer time. The area that you describe your pain along the rib cage is more sensitive due to the close dissection over the ribs. You might experience some inflammation of the rib cartilage or as the n erves are recovering from the stretching of the tissues over the implant you have more feeling returning. This is all temporary and will subside with time. You may ice the area for symptomatic relief.

Pain After Breast Implants

It is normal to have a range of different pain sensations in the weeks following augmentation and in all likelihiid this is of no import. However, you should bring it to the attention of your surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

At two weeks you are still early post-operatively, and weird pain sensations are fairly normal for the first few weeks to months.

PAIN AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

It is common to have recurrent pain within the first 1-2 months after breast augmentation.  However, it is always best to have your surgeon evaluate you, to rule out other possibilities such as infection.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

Everybody is different but this sounds well within normal limits.  Please call your surgeon for a check just to be sure though.

Pain after breast implants

First this sounds completely normal. But we do not know you CALL your surgeon to discuss or be seen. That is what I would want my post operative patient to do. CALL!

From MIAMI DR. B

Pain after Breast Aug

This is not uncommon at all.  Remember, you were relatively inactive after your surgery and now you are doing more using your arms much more, probably back at work.  It is totally normal to feel like this and if you didn't have implants you would think nothing of it.  If it does persist and it is interfering with you activity then call your doctor just to be reassured.  Good luck

Intermittent Breast pains are common while healing from surgery.

It is most likely just a normal part of the healing process. It's not uncommon to have new areas of discomfort as you begin to feel better and start to move a little more or as the implants begin to settle. But just to be safe, you should talk to your surgeon about this and let him/her check you out to be sure all is well.

Post-augmentation Pain

The pain that you describe certainly is not unusual. It is quite common to have pain which waxes and wanes 10 days following an augmentation.  You should report it to your surgeon, however, at your next visit to make certain of the cause.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Pain is normal after breast augmentation but should always go away over time.

Although many modern improvement have helped to turn breast augmentation into a less painful procedure than in the past, it is normal to have some pains a week and a half out from your surgery. This depends on a few factors including size of your implants, whether they are placed over or under the muscle (Under the muscle is a more painful way to go), and your incision placement.

Larger implants may stretch nerves inside the new pocket and cause pain. This will subside over time and may even take a few months. Pain directly under the crease in your breast may be from an inflammed vein and can be palliated by the use of warm compresses and anti-inflammatory medications. In summary, your pain is normal and will subside. If it does not, make sure you let your plastic surgeon know.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon