Pain After Breast Implants

It has been about a week and a half since my surgery. Most of my pain in my breasts has subsided but about two days ago a pain below my right breast right along my rib cage has been really hurting. It feels like a bruise, but there is no sign of bruising and it started happening 2 days ago. Normal?

Pain Most Severe-- First 24-48 Hours. Pain Tolerance Varies...

It’s not unusual for patients to experience pain following breast augmentation surgery.This pain is usually related to elevation of the muscles during submuscular breast pocket formation.In addition, spasm of these muscles can contribute to postoperative discomfort, as well.
The pain associated with breast augmentation is severe in the first 24 to 48 hours following surgery, but rapidly diminishes with time.We typically use a synthetic Codeine derivative called Hydrocodone, which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to Codeine.We replace narcotic pain relievers with double strength Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.We also use muscle relaxants in the immediate postoperative period.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation.The pain that you describe is typical following breast augmentation surgery.If you’re concerned about this pain, it’s appropriate to consult with your plastic surgeon for further evaluation.

Pain After Breast Implants

Hi there, thanks for posting your question. Pain is still common at this stage, but I suggest following up with your surgeon just to be safe. Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Breast Implants

It is normal to have a range of different pain sensations in the weeks following augmentation and in all likelihiid this is of no import. However, you should bring it to the attention of your surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

At two weeks you are still early post-operatively, and weird pain sensations are fairly normal for the first few weeks to months.

It is common to have recurrent pain within the first 1-2 months after breast augmentation.  However, it is always best to have your surgeon evaluate you, to rule out other possibilities such as infection.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

Everybody is different but this sounds well within normal limits.  Please call your surgeon for a check just to be sure though.

Pain after breast implants

First this sounds completely normal. But we do not know you CALL your surgeon to discuss or be seen. That is what I would want my post operative patient to do. CALL!

Pain after Breast Aug

This is not uncommon at all.  Remember, you were relatively inactive after your surgery and now you are doing more using your arms much more, probably back at work.  It is totally normal to feel like this and if you didn't have implants you would think nothing of it.  If it does persist and it is interfering with you activity then call your doctor just to be reassured.  Good luck

Intermittent Breast pains are common while healing from surgery.

It is most likely just a normal part of the healing process. It's not uncommon to have new areas of discomfort as you begin to feel better and start to move a little more or as the implants begin to settle. But just to be safe, you should talk to your surgeon about this and let him/her check you out to be sure all is well.

Post-augmentation Pain

The pain that you describe certainly is not unusual. It is quite common to have pain which waxes and wanes 10 days following an augmentation.  You should report it to your surgeon, however, at your next visit to make certain of the cause.

John Whitt, MD (retired)