Asymmetry and Burning Sensation After Breast Implants

I just got Mentor high profile Silicone breast implants 22 days ago. My left breast is 550 cc and my right breast is now 500 cc. The left one seems a lot higher than the right one, and when I push on the left one, it sends a burning sensation into my nipple. Is this normal?

Post-op dys-esthesia

+3

It is not uncommon to see some asymmetry in implant position and size, especially if they are relatively large. Pain is also quite common post-op and can last a few more weeks or months but should gradually abate. This can be a burning,stinging, or electrical shock type pain. You can have one breast/nipple with this pain and the opposite with numbness so it is not predictable. Of course your surgeon should confirm that you do not have a treatable cause like an infection that canalso cause a fullness, asymmetry, and pain.

There may be time to fix the implant

+2

It is normal for implants to ride high after augmentation. I have my patients wear a bra with a strap above the breasts 24/7 to help force the implants to descend. They usually only have to wear it for the first 3 weeks then they can stop.

Even at 3 weeks out I would still use one of these bras for several weeks to see if you can get the one to fall. As far as the pain issue I would not worry. Full healing will take several more weeks and it's not uncommon to have aberrant pain sensations. So just be patient with the pain and get a bra to help get that implant down.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and sensation

+2

Hi,

You had fairly large implants placed, so it's not unusual that you are experiencing some changes in sensation as your skin and nerves adjust to the new size. You also probabyl still have a fair amount of swelling, so it is not unsual that you have different shapes at this time. However, I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.

Yes, normal

+2

During the healing period, asymmetry and even funny looking breasts are the norm. The burning you are experiencing is due to pressure on a nerve that provides sensation to the nipple. The burning is typicla nerve pain. This should get better. I would not push on the inplant unless instructed to do so by your doctor.

sek

Unfortunately, the asymmetry is probably permanent.

+1

HI. Sensaton changes are often temporary. but the shape and symmetry are probably what they are going to be.

Of course, don't do anything for 6 months, to see if things improve, but based on your description, you may need a revision.

I recommend using disposable implant sizers DURING surgery. We put you in the sitting position (of course you are still under anesthesia), and we check the shape and symmetry of the implant pockets, and we see which is the best implant size. If the implant pockets can be improved, then I keep working. We open the permanent implants only after we have taken all these steps and discarded the sizer.

An implant sizer costs only $45, and this approach takes the guess work out.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.