Asymmetry and Burning Sensation After Breast Implants

I just got Mentor high profile Silicone breast implants 22 days ago. My left breast is 550 cc and my right breast is now 500 cc. The left one seems a lot higher than the right one, and when I push on the left one, it sends a burning sensation into my nipple. Is this normal?

Post-op dys-esthesia

+3

It is not uncommon to see some asymmetry in implant position and size, especially if they are relatively large. Pain is also quite common post-op and can last a few more weeks or months but should gradually abate. This can be a burning,stinging, or electrical shock type pain. You can have one breast/nipple with this pain and the opposite with numbness so it is not predictable. Of course your surgeon should confirm that you do not have a treatable cause like an infection that canalso cause a fullness, asymmetry, and pain.

There may be time to fix the implant

+2

It is normal for implants to ride high after augmentation. I have my patients wear a bra with a strap above the breasts 24/7 to help force the implants to descend. They usually only have to wear it for the first 3 weeks then they can stop.

Even at 3 weeks out I would still use one of these bras for several weeks to see if you can get the one to fall. As far as the pain issue I would not worry. Full healing will take several more weeks and it's not uncommon to have aberrant pain sensations. So just be patient with the pain and get a bra to help get that implant down.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and sensation

+2

Hi,

You had fairly large implants placed, so it's not unusual that you are experiencing some changes in sensation as your skin and nerves adjust to the new size. You also probabyl still have a fair amount of swelling, so it is not unsual that you have different shapes at this time. However, I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Yes, normal

+2

During the healing period, asymmetry and even funny looking breasts are the norm. The burning you are experiencing is due to pressure on a nerve that provides sensation to the nipple. The burning is typicla nerve pain. This should get better. I would not push on the inplant unless instructed to do so by your doctor.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Asymmetry and burning sensation after breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  Your description sounds typical for your nerves regnerating.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Asymmetry and Burning.

+1
Dear BIU, 
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue.  In your case, you may be developing a capsular contraction on the left holding the implant high, and may be affecting the nipple.  Visit your PS for a physical exam.  
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, the asymmetry is probably permanent.

+1

HI. Sensaton changes are often temporary. but the shape and symmetry are probably what they are going to be.

Of course, don't do anything for 6 months, to see if things improve, but based on your description, you may need a revision.

I recommend using disposable implant sizers DURING surgery. We put you in the sitting position (of course you are still under anesthesia), and we check the shape and symmetry of the implant pockets, and we see which is the best implant size. If the implant pockets can be improved, then I keep working. We open the permanent implants only after we have taken all these steps and discarded the sizer.

An implant sizer costs only $45, and this approach takes the guess work out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)