Pain and Swelling in Lower Abdomen Are 10 Months After Full Abdominaplasty with Muscle Repair, Lipo, and Breast Reduction?

I had a full TT with muscle repair, lipo and a breast reduction over 10 months ago. I still have swelling and hardness in the lower abdomen area and it is very uncomfortable, particularly when I seem to do more activity (walking, cleaning house, working out). The area is hard, tight and it is to the point that I still cannot go even a half day without some sort of support garment like spanx. My PS keeps telling me to come back in a few months, and hopefully time will relax it. Is this normal?

Pain and Swelling in Lower Abdomen 10 Months after Mommy Makeover

+1

Long-standing pain and swelling in lower abdomen 10 months after tummy tuck may be a mature seroma cavity or failure of plication suture, depending upon location and physical exam.   An ultrasound or CT scan could rule out or confirm a seroma.

Pain and Swelling 10 Months after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had after tummy tuck surgery.  I would not say that it is “normal”  to have your symptoms this far out of surgery. Unfortunately, in-person examination may be necessary to attempt to provide you with a diagnosis and/or treatment plan. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource;  if still in doubt, a second opinion with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area may be helpful.

Ongoing pain in the tummy?

+1

I would recommend you visit this again with your plastic surgeon. Sometimes, intermittent muscle spasm are normal, but there could be a fluid pocket or other inflammation under the skin. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Long term pain following an abdominoplasty

+1

If you did not have any complications following your procedure such as an infection or bleeding then your condition seems unusual.  It is possible that you have a condition such as fat necrosis.  This could form a firm mass as you describe or you could have an old seroma or fluid pocket.  One would normally expect that your pain would be gone by 10 months.   Options may include an ultrasound to detect if this is a fluid filled mass such as a seroma.   It is also possible that a sensory nerve has gotten caught in this firm area causing a pain when you turn in certain directions.  Very hard to know exactly what is going on with you without a physical examination.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best possible position to diagnose and treat your problem.