Pain and Stinging 6 Months Post Op, What Can I Do?

I had a tummy tuck 6 months ago. (yes, 6 months ago) I am still experiencing pain and stinging on the right side. Please, please help me!!!

Pain and stinging 6 months after tummy tuck (one side only) is unusual.

+2

I am sorry to hear of your plight, but can give you hope that the irritated or healing sensory nerve that is causing your distress may still have some healing to do! But 6 months certainly sees the vast majority of tummy tuck patients with no pain and increasing return of normal sensation.

If you can point to an exact spot with one finger where the pain is, or can stimulate the pain with a single finger poke in a specific location, your surgeon can inject this area with a long-acting anesthetic and see if this relieves your symptoms. If it does, there are pain specialists (usually anesthesiologists) who can perform a permanent nerve ablation injection that can provide long-term relief of your symptoms.

But this does not always work or work completely, and you can still get better on your own, so I would not really recommend this until 1 year or more after surgery. Discuss this with your surgeon. A TENS unit may provide temporary relief in the meantime! Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/body-procedures/tummy-tuck

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Stinging 6 months after tummy tuck surgery

+1

The best thing to do is to visit your surgeon and have him/her evaluate to see what is happening that you are experiencing this after 6 months.  An irritated nerve sounds like the most likely cause.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Pain 6 Months after Tummy Tuck

+1

You should go back to your plastic surgeon to be evaluated. In rare cases, a nerve may be irritated and as Dr Tholen described below, an injection may help.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon