Pain After Implants?

I had a bilateral mastecomy on September 6, 2012. I had the implants on December 11, 2012. The last 2 days I have had on/off pain in the middle right under my left breast. So sharp at times, it makes me cry out. It helps to put my left arm under my breast and put light pressure under the breast. Is this something that I should have looked at or maybe 'normal' for a little bit after surgery?

Pain after breast reconstruction

+1

It is very early since your surgery.  This type of pain is not uncommon after the kind of surgery you have had.  Nerves that provide sensation are necessarily divided during the removal of your breasts and this can cause the sharp pain that you are describing.  I would make sure you are taking some sort of pain medication during the night to help with the pain.  If the pain continues to persist, some other types of medication may be helpful.  I would definintely go back to your reconstructive surgeon for a follow up so he or she can check up on things. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Pain emerging weeks after mastectomy and breast augmentation should be brought to the attention of the surgeon

+1

Patients experience pain in different ways.the emergence of pain several weeks after significant chest surgery is not uncommon. You should consult your surgeon to make certain that there is nothing amiss.

Pain after implant reconstruction

+1

I think this warrants an evaluation by your plastic surgeon.  The pain could be associated with nerves "waking" up after your mastectomy.  Or it could be something related to your implant.  Please see your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Pain after Breast Implant Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the discomfort you have been experiencing after breast implant surgery. Although pain/discomfort can be a “normal” part of the recovery process, it may also be a sign of a postoperative complication.  For example, a breast implant that “settles” too much may apply pressure to the skin in that area, causing the sensations you describe.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise and/or reassure you after direct examination. Unfortunately, online consultants can only speculate;  any reassurance will not be as meaningful.

Pain after placement of implants

+1

Having some sharp pain can be normal the first few weeks after implant placement for breast reconstruction.  If it is getting worse or is more than you feel you should be having, the best thing to do is contact your surgeon.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Pain After Implants?

+1

Pain is to be expected, both from mastectomy and from reconstruction. If something seems out of the ordinary to you, a call to your surgeon is completely appropriate. With a few questions over the phone, your surgeon can decide whether or not you need to be seen.

Thanks, best wishes.

Pain after implants placement

+1

Some pain after implant surgery after mastecotmy is probaly normal. The only way to really know for sure is to be examined by your surgeon. Good lcuk.

Pain After Implants for Breast Reconstruction

+1

Pain at the inframammary fold after implant placement for breast reconstruction is likely a normal variant, particularly if Alloderm or a dermal matrix was used to support the inferior pole of the reconstructed breast Sutures are placed in the fascia there and can cause pain.  If you have any signs of infection or one breast is much larger than the other, call your plastic surgeon.