Pain After Coolsculpting?

I had coolsculpting done 7 days ago and I am in severe pain. The doctor prescribed Neurontin and I was wondering how long after taking it can I expect the pain to subside?

Pain after CoolSculpting for fat loss, varies

+1

Sorry to hear of your pain. Skin sensitivity is not uncommon but there is a small percent of patients that have hyperesthesia, or exquisite pain after the CoolSculpting procedure that is done for fat loss. The fat cells die from being frozen, but some patients describe what is felt like the "frostbite" injury of nerve pain. Gabapentin (neurontin) has been prescribed off-label for this and has worked for many patients but the dose is usually increased slowly to make sure it's tolerated. Check with your doctor to see if you need a greater dose.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Pain after Cool Sculpting!

+1

I so hear you!!!

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and had the procedure preformed on myself.  I had the stacking method on my abdomen in late October of 2012.  I had what they called delayed onset of pain which is severe and lasts approximately 14 days.  I was quite miserable at day 7!!!!  Statistically this type of pain only occurs in 12 percent of patients and that is also what I am seeing in my practice.

I struggled with pain relief and took more Ibuprofen than is medically recommended.  I have heard Neurontin can help although I have not had much success with it.  I send all of my patients home with sleeping pills, pain pills, and an antihistamine.  Most patients do not take anything, but my patients with delayed onset of pain really appreciate the medicines I have sent them home on.  

Hang in there!  It will get better around Day 14. Do not get discouraged!!!  It will be worth it in the long run!  Before you know it you will be planning your next procedure on a different area!

Jennifer L. Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon