Not Much Pain After Co2 Laser Treatment - Normal?

I had a Co2 Laser treatment this morning and maybe about 2-3 hours after the treatment all the pain and burning feelings had gone even though I didn't take any ibuprofen that my doctor prescribed(just took the aciclovir and applied the repair cream) and even the redness have reduced dramatically. Is it normal? Is it normal for the dots to be visible?

Pain reduces 3 hours after fractional CO2 laser

+2

Yes, it is very normal for the pain to dramatically subside 2-3 hours after a fractional CO2 laser treatment.  Our office advises that the skin be kept moist with a product such as Biafine, or Aquaphor healing ointment, applied frequently for at least a week.  The dots are microscopically tiny, with most laser platforms, spaced about 350 thousands of an inch apart, or less, and visible with the naked eye if you look closely.  We love the CO2 laser, and the results we have seen with it are astonishing.

Tucson Dermatologist

CO2 laser pain

+2

Yes, it is normal not to have pain after Fractional CO2 Laser procedure. Over and over again, I ask all of my patients if they have any pain the night they go home. Most of them do not even take the Vicodin because it does not hurt at all. Patient say that the area might be warm but not tender or painful. In addition,its normal for the dots to be visible, even up to 6 weeks after the procedure. They will eventually resolve. Hope this helps, Dr Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Recovery after Fractional CO2 laser and SmartXide laser skin resurfacing

+1

Discomfort is generally associated with Fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing.   The amount of postreatment pain depends on your own pain threshold and the depth of the laser.  Ironically, deeper peels may sometimes hurt less.  I place my patients on a strict postreatment regimen and advise them to begin a skincare regimen two weeks after laser.  The skincare regimen will minimize the development of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation and include Melaquin AM, MelaPads, and Melaquin PM. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

What to expect after Fractional CO2

+1

It is completely normal to have little to no pain after CO2 treatment.  The barrier ointment does a very good job of relieving much of the discomfort.  It is also totally normal to see the dots.  You can also have some pinpoint bleeding for the first day or two.  The reaction can vary greatly from person to person.  Some people swell tremendously and others barely at all.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS