Pain After Breast Augmentation Under the Muscle About 9 Years Ago?

I had Breast augmentation under the muscle about 9 years ago. Lately I have tingling on my left arm and pain on the left breast almost like chest pain or "gas" like pain. There is a lot of discomfort on that whole side. My implants were very "lateral" from beginning, could it be that the implant is rolling out and its creating pressure? is this neuropathic pain? What kind of testing is it recommended? I am really scared as I don't want to go through surgery again.

Pain following Breast Augmentation

+3

I would recommend that you follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  You could be developing a scar contracture.   This could require an open capsulectomy to remove the scar tissue.  Even though it is rare, patients can have scar contractures years after surgery.

Malpositioned breast implants can cause tingling and pain

+2

It sounds to me like the symptoms that you are having are mostly caused by a malpositioned (lateral) breast implants.  Implants that are too large and/or "lateral" can affect arm motion and even cause tingling and numbness as you describe.  The discomfort and pain may also be exacerabated by capsular contraction or "hardening" of the capsule around the breast implant on that left side. I would recommend going to see a board certified plastic surgeon and having a thorough evaluation.  I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation 9 Years Ago?

+2

I'm sorry hear about the  the discomfort you have experienced recently. Given your description, you may be dealing with one of several issues related to breast implants. For example, you may be experiencing encapsulation (abnormal thickening of the scar tissue around the breast implants).

On the other hand, your symptoms may be related to lateral breast implant displacement;  sometimes the pressure from a laterally displaced breast implant can cause discomfort along the sides of the chest.

Your best course of action would be to  seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Often, the diagnosis can be made based on physical examination without further testing necessary.Best wishes.

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Your left breast and arm pain may be due to 1) scar tissue forming around the implant (capsular contracture), or 2) lateralization and pressure of the implant. If you have a persistent pain/discomfort from either the capsular contracture or malpositioning of the implant, you would need a revision surgery.   Please visit with board-certified plastic surgeon so that she/he can evaluate the cause of the pain.  Also, it is important to see your primary care doctor to make sure that your left sided pain is not due to a cardiac event.

Sugene Kim, MD

Chest pain -

+1

First, I would suggest you see your internist to work up your chest pain.   Once you've been cleared by your internist, then I would suggest you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.   There could be many reasons for breast pain.   For instance, you could be experiencing scar tissue (i.e. capsular contracture).    Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS