Pain in Left Breast After 1 Year and Breastfeeding

A year ago, I had implants put in through my nipples and under the muscle. Little did I know, I was pregnant 3 days on the day of my surgery. I am able to breastfeed my 3 month old daughter, however 2 days ago, I started getting quick sharp pains in my left breast that last anywhere from 2-10 seconds long. I am not sure if it is my nerves or my milk ducts.

Sharp pains with lactation and nursing in patient after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

This could be an early sign of mastitis. Discuss wiht your gynecologist as well as your plastic surgeon. You may benefit from a short course of antibiotics.

Possible case of capsular contracture

+1

Capsular contracture or internal scarring around the implant can occur at any time after surgery although it is most likely during the first six months. Capsular contracture is thought to be caused by bacteria getting on the implant from the skin or the breast tissues themselves. This can also happen from breast-feeding, dental work or anything else that causes bacteria to get into the bloodstream. Symptoms include pain tenderness tightness and distortion. See your plastic surgeon. There are now medications that can help prevent or reverse contracture as well as treatments like cold laser. A secondary surgery may be necessary to treat this.  

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Pain with lactation unlikely from breast implants.

+1

Pain with lactation is very common. If you have not noticed a change in the shape, size, or position of your implants, then it is unlikely to be related to the implants. Post-surgical changes can lead to minor, intermittent discomfort but these pains usually subside after a year. I recommend discussing your issues with a lactation consultant or your OB/GYN.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

It is relatively normal to get some shooting pains in the breasts but if they do continue I think it would be sensible to schedu

+1

Thank you for your enquiry, it is relatively normal to get some shooting pains in the breasts but if they do continue I think it would be sensible to schedule a consultation with your surgeons so they can assess the area, and sometimes if you are developing capsules you can get symptoms like this but it would be best to get this checked out. I hope the pain settles down, I wish you the best of luck.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breasts with lactation

+1

There can be many reasons for pain in your breasts whie lactating. It could be trauma to the nipples during feeding, it could be a mastitis, it could be implant pain. It is hard to say without an exam.