Still in Pain 2 Months After Labiaplasty

I had labiaplasty 2 months ago via laser trimming. I was healing fine until about 3 weeks and then started experiencing some soreness and pain, tbd doctors said I had an infection and gave me antibiotics but the pain did not go. I had burning pain and aching deep in the labia the doctors now think it might be nerve damage, recently the burning seems to have subsided a bit but the deep aching is still there and it feels tender to touch, please advise me what might be causing this. Thanks.

Pain after labia surgery

+1
I agree that your surgeon is best equipped to make the diagnosis based on examination. You may be experiencing irritation around the nerve, this generally resolves with time. Gentle massage may be helpful as well.

Pain After Labiaplasty

+1

Dear London 3052,

I am obviously very sorry for the pain you're having.  Unfortunately, it is my experience (from my own patients and others) that the "Trim" technique is associated with a more painful postoperative course than the "Wedge" technique.  Of course, this is a generalization; there is no "correct" way to do the procedure and no guarantees with any surgical procedure.  That being said, I feel that the Wedge procedure is associated with fewer symptoms post-operatively.

That being said, your symptoms should subside, though that will take a while (a few more weeks or months) and that is clearly not pleasant.  You should be in touch with your PS to go over how things are feeling and let him/her look at you to see how the surgical area is healing.  As long as it's healing okay there will probably be relatively little to do aside from waiting it out.  Antiinflammatories and other pain medications may help, and applying a thin ointment such as Aquaphor may help with the symptoms.

I wish I had a simpler and better answer than that...

Dr. Engler

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Did you have a trim?

+1

At this point you need to see your surgeon and discuss the possibilities. I used to find that trim procedures were more likely to have long term pain. I no longer do them this way. The pain did subside, but took up to six months.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Pain after labiaplasty.

+1

2 months is long enough to safely say your pain should have subsided.  You need to go back to your surgeon and let he/she know all of your concerns you are having.  In the mean time, avoid hot showers or baths, swimming, hot tubbing and sexual activity to try to decrease the swelling.  It may also help to avoid wearing tight jeans or jeans all together and wear comfortable underwear to avoid any further irritation. 

Labiaplasty

+1

You may have had a small hematoma, or the pain may be from scar tissue.  At 3 weeks, long term scar tissue is being laid down in the area of surgery.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Pain 2 months after labiaplasty

+1

Your best bet is to stay in close contact with your surgeon and/or get a second opinion from either another labiaplasty surgeon or a gynecologist.  They will need to examine you and make sure something else isn't going on, like an yeast infection, etc.  The good news is that you are only 2 months out and the symptoms seem to be resolving.

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon