I Paid $9,300 for my Breast Lift, Do I Have to Pay for the Revision when It's the Surgeons Mistake? (photo)

I had a lift years ago and now had it redone 7 weeks ago. As you can see in the photo the right side is much smaller than the left. It was the surgeons mistake. Shouldn't the surgeon do the revision at no charge for her big mistake? No one should have to pay for this.

Update 1/15: Pre-Op Photo Added

Revision for suboptimal results

+1

Sorry for your disappointing results. Your surgeon has a vested interested in ensuring your happiness. If you maintain a calm and steady communication with your surgeon, you should be able to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution. You should not rush into revision surgery, but plan it with your surgery over the next few months.  

Revisions for subpar results

+1

are done routinely by many doctors.  Most have a policy in place that is discussed with you during your consultation and I am hopeful your doctor has a written policy for situations such as yours.  Best wishes in having your anticipated revisions done under some agreed upon policy.   Patients should always ask their doctor about their revision policy as it varies widely from practice to practice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Revision after breast surgery

+1

Although it is still a bit early to evaluate final results it does look as though there will be a significant asymmetry and some scarring issues.  I expect that by 7 weeks my patients are beginning to look pretty good.  Discuss this with your surgeon and see how things evolve over the next few months.  If your surgeon does not seem to be up to the task at hand get some other opinions from board certified plastic surgeons with good portfolios of before and after pictures.  Look for someone who has a lot of experience with revision surgery.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

It is a bit early for more surgery.

+1

I am sorry you are having this difficulty. It is hard to judge where you might be without pre-op images as well. I think a sit down with your surgeon is in order. You should discuss where you are and where you would like to be. Hopefully you adequately checked out your doctor before you had this surgery. Your tissues do need to soften before additional surgery if you want the best chance for improvement. Rushing into more surgery too early will decrease your chances here.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

WHO should pay the cost of Cosmetic Surgery Revisions and Touch-ups?

+1

I know of no Plastic surgeon who enjoys seeing an average or,ores yet, a poor cosmetic result in any of his patients. The vast majority of us are compulsively perfectionists who work hrd to produce the best possible results whenever we can. But perfection is rarely achievable especially if the starting point is far from perfect. By not giving a full history and submitting some BEFORE photos you make it impossible to surmise where your starting pint was, how challenging it was and how much, if any, of your current and temporary result was predicable or was the fault of your surgeon. 

As regards to WHO pays, that should have been discussed before your first operation. Most surgeons would do small touch ups without charging a professional fee but if larger procedures re needed the patient may be charged the anesthesia and ability fees. Every office has its own policy in these matters. By discussing matters calmly with your surgeon and working with her you will sort things out in a fair way. 

You should have a discussion with your surgeon

+1

I am very sorry that your results are not optimal. I would think that your surgeon is not happy with your results either. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon in a calm and non-accusatory fashion as Dr.Pousti stated. We do not have access to your before surgery pictures to discuss the fault. The reasonable thing would be surgeon to contribute his/her time and you pay for part of the surgery center and anesthesia fee.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Give it a little time

+1

7 weeks is still pretty early postop. It does look like you will have some asymmetry, with the right being higher, but this side should relax quite a bit. Most surgeons have a policy that if a reviison is required, they will not charge you a surgery fee (within one year of the original surgery). Often, you will be required to pay for the supplies or anesthesia needed. I charge those fees when something happens that is out of my control. If I feel a sub optimal result is related to my technique, then I try to waive those costs, as do other surgeons. If your surgeon does not have her own operating room, then she might not have this option. I would wait about 3-6 months to see where you settle out and keep the communication open and calm with your surgeon.

Best Wishes

John Alexander II, MD

Revision breast surgery and costs

+1

As I understand you had a revision of a previous breast lift, you do not mention if you have implants in place but it appears that you do.   It is not unusual to have a very flat appearance to the lower pole of the breast following this type of procedure.   Give it time to stretch, time,weigh and gravity are on your side.   Maintain a good line of communication with your plastic surgeon.  You may be surprised that very little will ultimately need to be done.   These procedures are much more complex than many patients realize, once the tissue has relaxed, in another 3 to 6 months your breast should be re-evaluated for possible revision.   For my patients I do not charge a surgeon's fee for revision surgery within the first year just a small supply charge.  If I feel that it is something that could have been avoided and was not discussed in advance with the patient this fee is often waved. as well.  This is an individual practice and all plastic surgeons will have a policy that they feel comfortable with .  

Revision Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

You are much too early out of your revisionary surgery to be  considering additional surgery;  I would suggest you contained a follow-up with your plastic surgeon communicate your concerns in a calm/nonaccusatory fashion.  This form of communication will help maintain a friendly position/patient relationship which is in everybody's best interest.

Assuming you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon,  is very likely that she will work with you and do her best to keep you as happy as possible.

2nd question re breast revision

+1

This is your second question about this today and obviously you are very upset.  Again though, we don't know what you looked like before to be able to comment on your current result.  Time will also probably make some of the issues better if you can be patient with that.  It is too soon to be thinking about future revisions and costs etc.  If you had confidence in choosing your doctor you should not be blaming them for the current look but working with them in partenrship towards resolution.  Being adversarial with them will not help your cause at all.  The more reasonably you interact with her and the calmer you can stay, the more you will be able to work things out.  I would also suggest that the more reasonably you interact with your doctor the more likely they will be willing to do something in the future a the minimum of expense or maybe no expense.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS