Does Packing in the Nose Increase the Amount of Swelling?

I had an open septorhinoplasty and had packing in my nose which was removed 11 days after surgery along with my splint. My nose is now very wide and swollen. Is it possible that packing has contributed to the excessive swelling & increased width of my nose?

Internal nasal swelling and packing

+1
Many surgeons use packing after rhinoplasty especially when septal surgery has been performed. Packing will generally not cause any increased swelling or changes to the size of your nose. At this early stage of recovery, you should discuss your concerns with surgery.

Packing after rhinoplasty

+1

Packing does not increase post op swelling.  Sometimes the packing itself can make the nose appear wide until it is removed and then it disappears.  See your surgeon to make sure things are healing normal.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Packing of the nose does not increase swelling.

+1

Packing the nose does not increase swelling. There's actually some clinical evidence to suggest that it might actually contribute to decreased swelling.

+1

Dear Lilly,

Thank you for your question.  Packing inside the nose should not increase your nasal swelling, however, it is common to have swelling increase right after the splint is removed, because the splint is compressing the nose slightly.  Once compression is removed, swelling occurs.  Also, exercise, getting the blood pressure up in any way, laying down without elevating the head, and bending over all contribute to swelling.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Packing inside the nose does should not lead to permanent changes

+1

Hello Lilly,

Thank you for the question.  Intra-nasal packing (packing inside the nose) should not lead to permanent changes.  A temporary increase in the swelling of the nose after the external splint is removed is not uncommon.  With time this should subside.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD