Do I have to pack my hole that's open or can I just cover it with sterile drain sponges?

I have a hole the size of a quater an about 7 inches deep. I had a tt 6weeks ago and it bust open with infection coming I went to the doctor an he cut me open an told me I have a small infectionso he gave me antibiotics to clear the infection

Tummy Tuck : Wound and Treatment

+1

I agree with the other doctors responding so far.

This complication can happen after tummy tuck surgery and can be frustrating.

But -be patient and it can eventually look like it never happened!

In general, most doctors recommend packing, but this is not always necessary. It hurts more and can even cause a problem if some of the gauze gets lost inside. It sounds like yours is deep, so don't lose anything inside. I have treated these very successfully with just covering the wound. Topical Silvadene cream is recommended. Twice daily showers. And I recommend oral antibiotics for one week. Cultures are typically taken.

This has a high success rate. Treatment would change if you have fevers or increasing pain or other worsening symptoms.

It can unfortunately take a month or longer to close. But it will!

It still is important to have your doctor make the final decision as these are just suggestions to help you.

Hope all is well.

Dr Chris Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Open wound

+1

Usually I recommend packing gauze into the wound, but no recommendations can be made without an examination. You should contact your surgeon for instructions.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Wound Care

+1

The specific recommendations regarding wound care can only be made after examination. Discuss this matter with your surgeon directly.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Open Wound Treatment

+1

Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible for instructions on wound care. He may want to pack the wound, and not just cover it. This is an unusual situation, and should be followed closely.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Open wound treatment

+1

From your description, it sounds like your wound needs to be packed with gauze and not just covered. Follow your surgeons wound care instructions.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a decision that should be made by your surgeon who has actually seen this, and who has and will continue to follow your recovery. Without a photo it is hard to offer any specific advice.

Wound management

+1

Important question. Best to return to your plastic surgeon to discus wound management. I suspect that he/she will want to do some packing of the wound.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Open Wound, See Your Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. It is very important that you see the plastic surgeon who performed your tummy Tuck and seek his advice for management of your open wound following your tummy tuck.

Generally speaking it is important that an open wound be managed to promote the growth of healthy, red tissue called granulation tissue to fill the wound and allow skin to eventually grow over the open area.

You do not want infected material, dead material, greenish material or pus to collect in the wound which can happen if you simply place a gauze over the wound to cover it.

Most surgeons pack a very deep wound with specialized antibiotic or moistened gauze, and change the dressing frequently several times a day to remove dead tissue and any infection and promote the growth of healthy, red looking granulation tissue.

Please see your surgeon right away for proper wound management.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS