I Have a Cystocele and Small Tectocele. Will the Added Pressure from a Tummy Tuck Make Them Worse?

Does the increase in abdominal pressure from muscle tightening during tummy tuck make existing pelvic prolapse worsen?

Addressing Cystocele and Rectocele.

+1

It is very important to address your pelvic issues before having an abdominoplasty.  During a TT, the abdomen is tightened. This in turn increases your intra-abdominal pressure, which will worsen you current symptoms.  

Pelvic Prolapse and Tummy Tucks

+1

Dear Lmpa2013,  While an abdominoplasty does not actually enter into the abdomen and therefore directly impact the intraabdominal structures, the tightening of the abdominal wall can increase the internal abdominal pressure and that certainly can impact your pelvic prolaspe problems.  The correct order of treatment is to have your pelvic floor stabilized, something your OB-GYN can discuss with you, and then at a later time, have your Tummy Tuck.  Doing it in the reverse order can lead to more pelvic problems and if your GYN has to operate, may compromise your abdominoplasty results.  Discuss this with both your OB-GYN and your plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Pelvic Prolapse And Tummy Tuck

+1

You need gynecologic surgery to correct those problems and give it several months to heal before considering a TT.

Pelvic Prolapse And Tummy Tuck

+1

I would recommend that your pelvic prolapse be fixed prior to your tummy tuck.  It is impossible to say whether or not the muscle repair will worsen your symptoms but it would worry me.

Cystocele and Rectocele Made Worse with Tummy Tuck

+1

The plication from the tummy tuck can make these issues worse as the abdominal and pelvic domains will be constricted.  This will increase pressure and the potential for further or worsening prolapse.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Cystocele and rectocele-- Will the Added Pressure from a Tummy Tuck Make Them Worse?

+1

Yes, these could be made worse, particularly if any muscle tightening is done. This added risks must be weighed carefully in your decision. Sometimes these can be addressed at the same surgery.

All the best/