Can an Ozone Sauna Treatment Detox Botox?

I use my friend's ozone sauna for detox treatments. It is used to detox the body and kill pathogens. Since using it, I've noticed my botox did not last as long and I'm trying to figure out the reason. Have there been any studies on this topic. Facts or opinions welcome:)

Botox binds quickly and irreversibly to receptors on muscle

+2

Soon after injection Botox binds irreversibly to muscle cell receptors preventing its contraction.  The muscle is unable to function normally until it regenerates new receptors.  This process takes 3-6 months, hence the duration of the Botox effect.  Difficult to see how an external factor such as ozone can affect this well defined process.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Avoid ozone saunas until there are scientific / medical investigations

+1

Is subjecting yourself to ozone safe? Is it helpful or damaging? Those are the questions to ask, not if the ozone is ruining your Botox. I can't see how the ozone would interfere with the Botox's duration of effectiveness and I am not aware of any studies that have investigated this.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox and the Ozone Sauna Story

+1

Hi Texas Peach,

Only if there is a hole in the ozone layer in your friends ozone sauna.  If it did work, there would be ozone sauna clinics for all of the poor Botox injection patients that suffer ptosis (droopy eyelids) at the hands of poorly trained and inexperienced injectors who take a weekend course and call themselves cosmetic doctors (not that core physicians are immune from an adverse event, but at least they know how to minimize complications from injections and take care of them before they become huge problems).  Choose your injecting physician most carefully, as well as your ozone sauna partners.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Probably Not

+1

It is a good question, and while no study has been done regarding this, I cannot imagine the ozone treatments would effect your Botox.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Ozone Sauna and Botox?

+1

Hi TXPeach.  No, your Botox results will not be affected by an Ozone sauna.  Botox is injected into the muscle and is bound to the muscle within a matter of hours.  Even if you went into the sauna immediately after the injections, it's unlikely that there would be any adverse affect.

As you can see, there's not a lot of believers in the "ozone" spa.  Good luck with the Botox.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Ozone detox won't affect Botox

+1

I can't imagine the Ozone sauna, which sounds like a complete scam, would have any effect at all on the Botox.  Ozone is toxic and not something that you would not want prolonged exposure to under any circumstances.

Botox Binds Irreversibly Within Ninety Minutes

+1

Within 20 to 90 minutes after it is injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox or Dysport very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site. Anything you do after that will not affect your results.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

The detox sauna will not dissipate the results of Botox

+1
Botox is used to stop the connection between the nerve and the muscle allowing the muscle to relax. The Botox is then metabolized by your system and the time that the botox lasts is determined in the amount of time it takes for the reconnection of the muscle function. Once injected this times varies from patient to patient, the amount of botox used and how it was diluted. I hope this is helpful to you. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

No treatments to "detox" Botox

+1

Botox and other similar products such as Dysport work by disabling the connection between a nerve and the muscle it controls, for example the "corrugator" muscle that causes the deep furrows between the eyebrows. Once the effect has taken hold, the Botox is metabolized away and the duration of the effect relates to the time it takes the body to re-establish the connection. So even if there were a treatment to "detox" the Botox, there isn't any Botox to detoxify after a few days.

Richard Baxter, MD

It is not your friends sauna.

+1

Dear Texas Peach

I really hope that the "ozone sauna" is a fraud for your sake.  Ozone is an unstable compound that is an oxidant.  Environmental studies have found that peaks in ozone from pollution are associated with spike in community death rates.  So it is worth putting your thinking cap on and remember that it does not make sense that a known toxin would "detoxify" the body.  In fact there is no scientific agreement on what it means to "detox" the body.  So don't accept this unscientific hooey.  A more likely reason that your botox is not lasting as long is that someone is watering down the product you are receiving (this boosts the bottom line until clients bail).  FInd out from the office you are getting service at how much actual BOTOX you are being treated with.  Consider finding service elsewhere and see how much actual BOTOX (measured in units) they think you need.  If that service last longer and gives a better result for the same amount of product, you will have your answer.