Overwhelmed with Choosing Size?

I'm a 5ft7in female 155 lbs with 36 *a/b* depending& I have my first breast augmentation scheduled for July 16th. My preop is on Fri to help me figure out sizing.the office i'm using has the 3d vectra but nervous I'm not gonna truly see what kind of results I want from the machine? i'm not a small girl, so I am wanting "larger" implants, but not insanely huge! I don't even know where to start!! HOPING FOR A DD, what kind of saline fill should I be looking into? Or would silicone be best? pleasehelp!!

Breast implant size selection

+2

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Lastly, please make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The proper credentials and certification matters.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Avoid large implants

+1

At size 36 A each 200 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  To achieve a DD you would require 800 cc implants.  It is unlikely that you can accommodate 800 cc implants. Your photographs show your breasts are lateral with poor cleavage and descended.  A better technique for you would be Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall give maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural and are less likely to ripple.  These implants are stable long term unlike the implants of your ideal patient.  Those large implants are pre-pectoral and will require revision because they will bottom out from lack of support.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Take your time choosing breast implant size.

+1

There are a number of strategies for determining what breast size implant you want. The surgeon you choose will guide you through this. Most patients interviewed at a year wish they had gone a bit bigger.

Choosing a size should not be difficult

+1

unless you are trying to hit a grand slam and be perfect.  You will be better in almost anyway you look at it.  You want to have a result that will ultimately make you happy.  The Vectra is high tech and you should talk to his patients who used it to see how close they got to what they wanted.  Otherwise manual sizing with external sizers works so reliably for me that I don't need the Vectra.  If you can see what you are going to be, wouldn't that be enough assurance that your result will be very close to it?

Curtis Wong, MD

Sizing

+1

I prefer the sizing system developed by Mentor to help women determine size. This helps you see what look you are going for rather than a cup size.

Michael Hueneke, MD

What size implants? Overwhelmed!

+1

You seem a bit confused and have a not of questions which is not unusual.  Best bet is to consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons who you have researched.  Bring in photos of what you want and don't want.  Vectra is helpful but nothing beats trying them on your body to see how they will look and feel.  You may not feel comfortable with larger implants when you see them on your body.  Feel saline vs silicone implants and learn the pros and cons of both but try not to get fixated on CC's and focus on what size you are comfortable with when trying them on.  Most of your questions will be answered when you go in for your consultations.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Overwhelmed before breast augmentation

+1

Our guess is you are not ready for your procedure. The most important thing you need to know is what you wish to look like. Your surgeon cannot choose the best implant and style if you can't tell how you are to come out in the end. Forget about implant sizes, the look is what you will see.

Vectra is very accurate

+1

The Vectra 3D imaging system is very accurate.  I have been using this system for over one year and 100 breast augmentations later I have not had one woman not like the size of implant they chose.  

How do I choose the right size?

+1

You say, you are overwhelmed, nervous, I'm not gonna truly see (what I will look like), I am wanting "larger" implants, but not insanely huge! With so many uncertainties I am concerned you may find something to be disappointed with after your surgery. You are correct in thinking there is no way you can know exactly how you will look, and feel, and be pleased with your breasts after your augmentation. If you're uncertain about so many things, you may want to wait until you can be more sure. I usually have my patients try on a bra and put different sizes of implants into the bra, in front of your breast until it fills out the bra the way you think is best for you. You should be satisfied with both the appearance and the increased bulk and weight of the new breast. I think that's about the most you can do. You can't get an exact idea of the shape your breast will add. If you've been larger in the past or been pregnant, that should give you the best idea of what the shape of your breasts will be. You can manipulate 3D images, or photos all you want and perhaps find what would be ideal in your mind, but that's not likely to be exactly what you will look like when your breast is made larger with the implant and the breast tissue you have adds your own shape to the implant. If you can't be sure you will be happier I suggest delay until you are more sure. Best of luck to you.

Joseph Hayhurst, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Sizing anxiety

+1

Different doctors have different ways to determine which volume to use in order to get you into the ballpark of the cup size that you want.  I say "ballpark" because even bra manufacturers don't have standard cup sizes so no one can guarantee you a specific cup size.  When I do my surgery, I actually use a disposable sizer implant which I use to help create the pocket for the final implant as well as check the volume that the patient and I have agreed on.  Despite the numerous methods that doctors may use to determine which volume to use, nothing beats putting in an implant (or a sizer) and seeing EXACTLY what that volume will actually look like in place.  Unfortunately, the patient is asleep at that point and can offer no input.  Because of that, I tell them that, if the volume we agreed on looks to big, we might go slightly smaller.  If too small, we might go slightly larger.  This is just fine tuning on my part and my patients have no problem with it.  A nice thing about saline implants is that they are adjustable during surgery so you have more leeway with these than you would with silicone gel implants.  Still, I think the silicone gel implants have a more natural feel and are a better implant overall.

My best advice for you:  Pick a doctor with whom you feel comfortable.  If he has been doing this type of surgery for awhile, he should be pretty good about getting you into the right size.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD