Am I Too Old/overweight for Breast Reduction?

I am 51 years old and have battled with being overweight my whole life, it seems. I am 5'4'' and currently weigh 195 pounds, much of which has come on in the last 5 years. My breasts have always been large (D cup) and never "perky", but now I am up to a DD and hate how I look in clothes (or without :). Am I too old and/or overweight to contemplate breast reduction surgery? It would really be for cosmetic/self esteem issues; I don't have back or neck problems to speak of.

Breast reduction

+2

You are neither too old nor too heavy to undergo a breast reduction.  Breast reduction surgery is not a difficult operation to go through as long as you are otherwise in good health. Even at your weight the surgery will be well tolerated. The only problem with your weight is that your insurance company might not agree to pay for it.  Different insurance carriers have different policies regarding this and they may tell you to lose weight before they will consider covering it. They commonly do this to avoid paying for this operation  Other than that, I see no problem having it done.

Too Old for surgery?

+2

In my opinion, the age of the patient is not the ONLY determining factor when deciding if a patient can undergo elective surgery.  I have many patients who are older but in great shape and therefore have no issues with having such surgery.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeon's who can show you examples of their work so that you are comfortable with the process.  Sometimes, I ask my older patients to get a medical clearance /EKG from their doctor letting me know that all is well to proceed with surgery.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations I do and hopefully, the only regret you will have is "why you didn't do it sooner".

Best Wishes.

Scarless breast reduction

+1

What a great opportunity for the "Scarless" reduction. This is liposuction only performed on an outpatient basis and usually takes about half an hour with minimal downtime and very few risks. You will certainly not get a contract for the centerfold of Playboy magazine like this but it is a quick easy way to get you down several cup sizes and you will feel more comfortable and be able to wear more appropriate clothing. Find someone in your area that has a lot of experience with this and you should do great. Good luck

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon