Am I Too Old/overweight for Breast Reduction?

I am 51 years old and have battled with being overweight my whole life, it seems. I am 5'4'' and currently weigh 195 pounds, much of which has come on in the last 5 years. My breasts have always been large (D cup) and never "perky", but now I am up to a DD and hate how I look in clothes (or without :). Am I too old and/or overweight to contemplate breast reduction surgery? It would really be for cosmetic/self esteem issues; I don't have back or neck problems to speak of.

Breast reduction

+2

You are neither too old nor too heavy to undergo a breast reduction.  Breast reduction surgery is not a difficult operation to go through as long as you are otherwise in good health. Even at your weight the surgery will be well tolerated. The only problem with your weight is that your insurance company might not agree to pay for it.  Different insurance carriers have different policies regarding this and they may tell you to lose weight before they will consider covering it. They commonly do this to avoid paying for this operation  Other than that, I see no problem having it done.

Too Old for surgery?

+2

In my opinion, the age of the patient is not the ONLY determining factor when deciding if a patient can undergo elective surgery.  I have many patients who are older but in great shape and therefore have no issues with having such surgery.

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeon's who can show you examples of their work so that you are comfortable with the process.  Sometimes, I ask my older patients to get a medical clearance /EKG from their doctor letting me know that all is well to proceed with surgery.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations I do and hopefully, the only regret you will have is "why you didn't do it sooner".

Best Wishes.

Am I too old/overweight for breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. Getting down to your ideal weight prior to any surgical procedure is wise as it will minimize complications as well as risks during anesthesia.  This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too old for breast reduction/lift?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a breast reduction or lift surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis. If you are having back pain, neck pain, bra strap grooving, rashes under the breast fold, or just desire a breast lift, meet with a highly qualified surgeon.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

+1

What a great opportunity for the "Scarless" reduction. This is liposuction only performed on an outpatient basis and usually takes about half an hour with minimal downtime and very few risks. You will certainly not get a contract for the centerfold of Playboy magazine like this but it is a quick easy way to get you down several cup sizes and you will feel more comfortable and be able to wear more appropriate clothing. Find someone in your area that has a lot of experience with this and you should do great. Good luck

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon