Overly Rotated, and Crooked Nose After Rhinoplasty. How Long Until I Can Get Revision?

I had an open rhinoplasty two months ago. Bump removed and the tip was narrowed. for some reason my nose looks too short and far from face. Nostrils are two different size and tip nose is crooked. Nose is too narrow. I am so depressed. I can't sleep, can't work. I am about to lose my job and my house. I would like to know if my nose could be brought closer to face and could be look longer. Can nostrils be fixed? how long do i have to wait? I want my old nose back.

How long to wait for revision Rhinoplasty

+3

Wow, I'm very sorry that you seem to be in such a bad place, two months after your Open Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, it would be in your best interest to take a deep breath and focus on taking care of the most important things, in your life...you health, job, home and relationships.  These are not often fixed as easilly as your nose and no matter how bad you think your nose looks, it's not worth loosing any of the more important things that I listed previously.  You may want to see a councelor or clergy to help you through this difficult time.

Now, about the nose.  An open Rhinoplasty can cause the tip to rotate 5-7 degrees, or more just by using the open technique.  If a cartilage graft was added to the nasal tip, it could make it look over projected.  Because an Open Rhinoplasty directly manipulates the tip cartilages, the lateral aspect of which provides support to the nostrils...nostril shape can change however, it supposed to make the nostrils more symmetric, not asymmetric.

Wait for at least 4-5 months and if things remain the same, you can go back to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did the Rhinoplasty or see experienced Revision Rhinoplasty surgeons in consultation.  The Revision Rhinoplasty however, would most likely not be performed, if needed, until at least 6 months after the previous one and could be as long as a year if the skin appears like it's still healing or has limited blood supply (skin looks pink or feel cold to the touch). 

The other thing I advise my many Revision Rhinoplasty consults is that you old nose is gone and no matter how many surgeries you have, it's not coming back.  It's best to focus on making the nose that you have right now, the best looking, most naturally attractive it can be, instead.  Hope this helps.

Timing for revision of crooked nose

+1

You really should wait a year.  There are regions of asymmetric or focal swelling during the first months.  As you stay patient, those may resolve and leave you with a better result than you currently see.  Stay involved with your surgeon-  communicate your concerns early, be honest but patient, and accept the explanation if it seems logical.  If you are still not fully satisfied, don't be afraid to see another opinion.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry you've had an unfortunate experiece with your rhinoplasty surgery. I know it's easier for others to say, but don't let this destroy your whole being - losing your house will not make your nose better. It is best to wait  another 9-12 months before having revision surgery by a surgeon experienced in treating these problems. Unfortunately, over the years I've seen many individuals who were not patient and actually made things worse.

Over-rotated, crooked nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear that your post-operative healing isn't going as well as you'd hoped. Your nose will still evolve as it heals further, including possible improvement to the rotation that's bothering you.

Revision rhinoplasty surgery is a possibility, but usually you want to wait about a year before undergoing another procedure. Your nose will be a moving target in these earlier stages such that it would be hard to determine what eact changes need to be made.

You should really discuss your concerns with your surgeon. That's who can best guide you through this time and explain what to expect going forward.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Revision rhinoplasty timing

+1

Most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons would wait at least one year before considering revising a nasal procedure.  The main reason for this is that it takes a very long time for all the swelling to completely resolve and for the healing to tissues underneath to finish remodeling.  Although the kinds of issues you describe sound significant, without photos it is difficult to really advise you with respect to your eventual outcome.  Many minor imperfections and irregularities resolve with time from the natural healing process and so it is important not to rush into "fixing" issues when it is too early in the process.  For example, if there was a small bump present at 2 months following a rhinoplasty and a surgeon responded to his/her patient's worry by revising the procedure right away, the bump might actually be from swollen tissue.  This could result in the surgeon mistakenly removing additional tissue that should have been left alone.  The final result could then look actually sunken in.  This why most of us require our patients to wait at least 12 months (until all the swelling is resolved) before revising the work.  Believe it or not, many things that seem quite wrong or asymmetric early on the healing process actually can look fine after one years time.  I would definitely suggest you discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty usually earliest at 6 months

+1

I usually wait for 6 months to consider a revision rhinoplasty. Some of what you are talking about could resolve after more time.  I would wait to do anyting rash.  Sometimes, if your doctor really believes it is something that can be improved, he may go back in earlier.  This is a rarity.  The overrotated appearance usually improves.  There are many forces counteracting this rotation that will eventually bring the nose back down to a more likeable appearance for you. All of the things that you are talking about can be improved though. So don't despair. I would talk it over with you doctor first and get his opinion. But second opinions are always helpful from someone that will add constructive and not destructive comments regarding your state.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 1 year for revision surgery

+1

There is hope! You do have to wait one year from your original surgery to have revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Timing of revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about your experience.  In general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Sam Naficy, MD