Overhanging Nose Flap Between the Nostrils Following Open Rhinoplasty?

Hello,9 days ago i under went open rhinoplasty,to narrow the bridge and nip in the nose tip also. The flesh between my nostrils at the front ('columella' region?) was cut and then stiched, but it doesn't appear to be connected flat and it looks like the 'join' has slipped forward leaving an overhang of flesh?I'm concerned that this will be the final result or is this normal during the healing process? Thankyou for your time.

Flap Between Nostrils after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

If this is swelling, obviously it will resolve. If there is an irregularity at the skin closure, your surgeon can revise the wound with minimal anesthesia. Using the open technique for over 30 years, I've never had a problem with the columellar incision. You will do well.

Contour Abnormality Following Rhinoplasty

+1

A photo would help in understanding your exact concern. Short of that, it sounds like you have an uneven contour where the columellar incision is normally made in between the nostrils. If this is the case, your rhinoplasty surgeon might need to revise it under local anesthesia in the office. Fortunately, these type of abnormalities do not need to go back into surgery to be repaired.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Columellar Wound 9 Days Following Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Lindsay,

Best to revisit your rhinoplasty surgeon for evaluation.  If the skin edges are uneven, perhaps your surgeon can adjust the wound in the office under local anesthesia.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD