Questions regarding overfilling implants.

If I have a Natrelle High Profile 320-340 implant. would overfilling 10% of it be 320+32=352cc or 340+32=372cc? Would 370cc be firm in this case? I am a B cup so I have a bit of tissue to start off with. Also opting for a natural look that isn't so obvious(NOT baseball look). Also will it be too firm?

Overfilling Saline Breast Implants

+1

The range recommended by current breast implant manufacturers take into account the amount that can be filled without distorting the shape of the implant and causing "scalloping" of the edges.  So it generally is a good idea to stay within that range or very close to it.

Also, the more a saline implant is overfilled the firmer it will become and less natural it will feel...think of an overfilled balloon.

Rather than trying to overfill and reach a certain target number, it's better to select an implant profile and the volume based on your chest measurements and your desired look.   This is something that your plastic surgeon should be able to help you with.

Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling of implants

+1

Though overfilling of saline implants will reduce the chance of rippling, with a high profile implant - it is unlikely that you will get a very 'natural' look that you desire. Please discuss with your surgeon again re. your wishes. implant size and profile.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling Implants

+1

In your case, a 10% overfill would be 340 + 34 cc because the normal range is given at 320-340 cc.  This overfilled implant will certainly be quite firm and will not look natural.  As a general rule, saline implants provide more projection than silicone implants of the same style and volume.  Saline implants are also more firm, overfilled or not.  There is nothing natural-looking about an HP saline implant.

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

Overfilling saline implants

+1

If you are opting for a natural look, high profile saline implants are not necessarily the best choice.  Saline implants typically have higher profiles than silicone gels, and a high profile saline implant has the highest profile and, depending on your anatomy and tissue thickness, perhaps the less natural look of all the implant options.  Overfilling of saline implants is normal to decrease implant wrinkling and possibly decrease the rate of implant rupture and deflation.  Nevertheless, you should discuss with your surgeon what degree of overfilling he or she typically performs...not overfilling could lead to more palpable wrinkles, but overfilling past a certain point will lead to a firmer and even more projecting, rounded implant. 

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Overfilling saline implants helps reduce rippling

+1

Overfilling saline implants is very common and helps to decrease rippling.  I think you are  too concerned about the actual numbers and you won't be able to notice a difference in the ranges you specified

I am concerned that you think that you will get a "natural" look with the high profile saline implant though.  That will generally give you a very noticeable augmented look.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Overfillilng implants

+1

If you are looking for natural look, having overfilled high profile implants probably is not the best choice.  I think you need to go back to your surgeon and have another discussing regarding implant type, profile and size.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Overfilling saline implants

+1

I would recommend not having saline implants but silicone. There really are NO advantages to saline impolants now and actual disadvantages, the possibility of deflation in about 5% of the cases. Taking the best results from saline and silicone patients, the silicone will usualy feel, look better and more natural! 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling saline implants

+1

Saline implants should generally be filled to the upper range of manufacturer recommended volume

However in certain patients I have found it necessary, and or beneficial to go beyond the manufacturers  recommendid fill volume ,particularly when using adjustable saline implants

Patients do need to be aware that it is  as an off label use,when these volumes are exceeded

Underfilling a saline implant increases the risk of rippling and premature rupture 

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Saline overfill and the natural look

+1

As others have noted, each saline implant has a designed range for overfill.  The fill should stay within these bounds.  Filling beyond the upper limit will cause more firmness and possibly void the warrantee.  If you want to have the most chance of keeping a natural look, avoid the high profile implant, and/or consider silicone.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

The correct fill for saline breast implants

+1

The fill ranges for the Natrelle implants that you mention are just that, and fill to the 'top' of the range is not over fill, and in our experience will not stiffen or harm the softness or performance of the implants. We do avoid high profile implants in saline as the shape is rounded, not baseball, though not as natural feeling as the moderate profile. If your want more volume stick with the moderate profile and ignore the diameter as we feel this is more of an issue with a gel implant. If you choose a saline implant, don't be easily talked out of your choice unless there is a particular reason for gel based on something unique to your breast.

peterejohnsonmd