Overcrowding Treatments

I was wondering if I could be a good candidate for Invisalign, I previously had braces but my permanent bottom retainer broke and since then my bottom teeth have moved and are now overcrowded. My top teeth are in good condition and haven't moved since removing my braces. On average how long does a treatment take for overcrowding, from the least to most severe?

Invisalign works for overcrowded teeth.

+1

The treatment will vary based on how much space is needed. In your case we can judge that from a photograph. Measurements are done to determine how long to correct your lower teeth. The short end is just a few months and the long end would be around 12. Based on what I can make out of your pix..

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Treatment duration

+1

The duration of the treatment for light to severe crowding ranges from 8 months for a very light crowding to 24 months for a severe one.

Yes you can be a good candidate for invisalign.

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for crowding after losing a retainer

+1

Lower tooth crowding after losing a retainer that was intended to keep teeth straight after braces is often a perfect indication to choose Invisalign.  I would not expect this treatment to take longer than 8 to 10 months if the only real problem is lower front tooth crowding.  Remember though, that your bite, or the way your teeth mesh together, is critical for a comfortable and stable situation so there may be some need for Invisalign to correct the upper arch as well.  If so don't worry ... it doesn't take any longer and can result in a better final outcome.  If you get another fixed lower retainer be sure to have a backup clear retainer made to wear in case the fixed one breaks.  This way you'll never need any treatment again.

Seattle Orthodontist

INVISALIGN WORKS FOR OVERCROWDING

+1

In our practice overcrowding is the most common reason that adults seek orthodontic treatment. And Invisalign is an ideal solution for this type of bite problem. One caution, however, is that even though lower crowding is most evidenty, it is rare that there is not enough upper crowding that treatment of both arches is required if there is to be a satisfactoryfunctional outcome. 

Retention after elimination of crowding is essential. We generally recommend a fixed retainer bonded to the inner surface of the lower front teeth and a removable upper retainer to  be used during sleeping hours. The latter can also be designed as a night-guard to protect the teeth against wear from clinching and grinding.

I hope you find this helpful!

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Invisalign a Good Treatment for Overcrowding

+1

Your case looks like an excellent Invisalign case.  If I were you I would treat the upper and lower teeth at the same time (as you move the lower teeth, we will move the upper teeth along to make sure the bite is properly aligned.  Besides it costs the same to do 2 arches as it does to do just one.  It will probably take about a year or so to complete (maybe 6-9 months for the initial treatment -- then 2-3 months to tweak)

Good Luck!

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Can I get Invisalign for my problem?

+1

It looks like you have one of the most common problems that we use Invisalign for....lower anterior crowding that happens as you age (whether or not you ever needed braces).  I am certain it would work for you.  Tx time for crowding can be anywhere from a few months to years depending on the situation, but in your case I would think 6-12 months

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.