Still an Outie Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

I am 2 weeks from a tummy tuck with lipo. on the hips & outer/inner thighs. I wasn't that huge to begin with, so my main goal was to repair the umbilical hernia & tighten the muscles. I was very clear to my surgeon that I wanted an innie belly button...even showing him pictures to make sure we were on the same page. Well, 2 weeks later and my bb doesn't look much different than before...I hate it! My Dr. says it "should" go down, but not sounding very confident. What, if anything, can I do?

"Marble trick" for outie belly button after tummy tuck

+1

It is still very early after surgery.

I commonly see belly buttons that start out with a triangular shape and get pulled out into a rounder shape due to the tension from pulling the skin.

Give it at least 3 months before making any judgments.

The bubbly swollen appearance will also settle down as the swelling resolves.

For some of my patients who are concerned about the swelling and shape, we use the marble trick. IF and when your skin can tolerate tape, consider taping an old fashioned glass marble (easy to clean or sterilize) into the belly button and tape it in place.

IF after the 3 months have elapsed and you are still unsatisfie, consider revisionary suirgery at that time.

Belly button appearance after tummy tuck

+1

First of all, it is too soon to assess your final appearance. There is swelling in and around the umbilical stalk which can last for a few months or longer. If your belly button appearance remains not to your liking, sometimes minor revisions can be made where extra umbilical skin can be trimmed.

Hayley Brown, MD

Patients

+1

Your navel is puffy due to swelling.  I will get a lot better with time.  How much?  Wait to look at it again for at least 2 more weeks.  Then again at 3 months.  Final result 1 year.  If you had a tru umbilical hernia repair, this may take even longer.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Belly Button after Tummy Tuck - The Innie is not in yet

+1

Regarding : "Still an Outie Belly Button After Tummy Tuck
I am 2 weeks from a tummy tuck with lipo. on the hips & outer/inner thighs
. I wasn't that huge to begin with, so my main goal was to repair the umbilical hernia & tighten the muscles. I was very clear to my surgeon that I wanted an innie belly button...even showing him pictures to make sure we were on the same page. Well, 2 weeks later and my bb doesn't look much different than before...I hate it! My Dr. says it "should" go down, but not sounding very confident. What, if anything, can I do
?"

An "innie" belly button is created by stitching the belly button close to the muscle lining, in effect indenting the skin around it. At the present time, with all the surgical swelling it is too soon for you to decide that all is lost and beat up on yourself and your surgeon. As the swelling goes away over the next few months you will begin to see the final result and you may actually be surprised on how good it looks. Be patient.

Dr. Peter Aldea