Seroma After Tummy Tuck

Drains out after 16 hours. I was told I may have turned over wrong and separated some skin from the muscle creating a hole which filled with fluid.My seroma aspirated for 300ml and after 3 weeks it was down to nothing.

When I move/bend my stomach feels like it is "pinching" and I am worried the skin is not adhering properly. Has this wrecked the tummy tuck? My PS says everything will be fine in the end but I notice a little "pouch" of skin in my lower abdomen above the scar line.8 weeks post op.

Seroma will not ruin your tummy tuck

+2

Seromas can happen with or without a drain, and if a seroma is appropriately treated as your surgeon has done, and in the absence of infection, your tummy tuck will not be ruined. Stiffness, pinching, and the little 'pouch' can all be part of normal healing. Try a Spanx for daily support and be patient with your progress.

peterejohnsonmd

Seroma

+2

it is way too early to worry. give it some time. see your surgeon regularly.  if there is a little irregularity, it can be tidied up quite easily.  be patient

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Seroma After Tummy Tuck

+2

Dear Orillia,

Patience is key. Your body needs time to heal. Sensations such as pinching or tightness are common after tummy tuck. I would be sure to continue seeing your plastic surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Tummy tuck and drainage

+1

Hi,

Pulling the drains at 16 hours is not done in my practice but perhaps your surgeon is doing something that is different.  I would really like to know!!!

It does not surprise me that you developed a seroma. Talk to your doctor and try to see what his/her reasoning was for the early pull.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon