What is the Likely Outcome of Only Augmenting One Breast to Fix Assemtry?

I have gone to 2 consultations and had conflicting recommendations. I want to have nice breasts that make me feel beautiful. I am 30, BMI 35, I estimate I am on the left a C cup, on the right a DD. 1. Lipo the larger breast, wait 6 months and then add implants if I feel I need to be larger. 2. Add aprox 350cc to only the smaller breasts, wait a few months see where it drops and then address possibility of needing a lift.

Augmenting only one breast

+1

Of course each patient is an individual, but the likely outcome will be that you will need a second operation.

Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

Treating breast asymmetry requires plastic surgeons to use every tool in their breast surgery tool chest - reduction, lift, liposuction, augmentation, nipple surgery, etc. 

When one side is augmented,  it is usually perkier and firmer than the unaugmented side and it ages differently in that it does not tend to sag with time as natural breasts do.

Realistic expectations are very important and I always tell my patients it will never, never, never be perfect and the goal is for the patient to be able to get up in the morning, put on her bra without having to stuff one side and forget about her breasts and get on with her life!

Whether on not you are a good candidate for surgery will depend on your expectations and  your general health.  Your BMI indicates that you are obese and that alone puts you at risk for surgical complications and if you have high blood pressure or diabetes on top of that, I would likely not recommend elective surgery.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Treatment of asymmetric breasts

+1

It is impossible to answer your post specifically without photos, a face to face examination or knowing which side you like better. It should be obvious that if you just make the smaller one larger or the bigger one smaller you will end up with a less symmetric result that working on both sides at the same time or in stages. You should also know that unlike patients who had breast removed for cancer who are happy with implants on one side asymmetry patients are frequently unhappy with breast implants on one side. Lastly if you reduce the larger side beyond a small amount you will have extra skin that will then need to be addressed.

There is no one answer to your dillemma. There are a few different options available to you and you need to pick the one that you can live with the most. We cannot give you all the options available with the limited information in your post.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Keep in mind that having some combination of breast surgery will likely improve your symmetry but don't expect perfect symmetry regardless of the procedure  or  surgeon you select. You will find that you will receive several different opinions to treat the same situation. Don't get frustrated–choose a surgeon based on training, experience and his/her ability to demonstrate the quality of outcomes  he/she is able to achieve for previous patients in your situation. Online consultation, without pictures, will not be helpful to you.

With all due respect, make sure that your breast  surgery outcome does not  overly influence your ability to “feel beautiful”–overly high expectations can be dangerous.

Asymmetry...

+1

It would be much easier to answer your question if you posted photos.  Based on your description some of your answer rests on the size and shape you desire.  To help symmetry I'll generally use an implant on each side- obviously different sizes- but this helps to get a result that feels more similar.  You might benefit from a reduction in your natural tissue on the larger side, with an implant also used to help balance out shape.  If you submit photos I'd be happy to give you further comments.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Correcting breast aymmetry

+1

The answer depends on which breast you like more and if anything needs to be done to the breast that you like the best.  There are really three options for either breast:

1) Augmentation (adding volume)

2) Reduction (reducing volume)

3) Breast lift (reshaping the breast)

I would look at the breast that you like most and determine what if anything you would do to it to make it better.  Once that is decided you can decide what needs to be done to the other to make it look like the one you like more.  This can be any number of options as listed above for either breast.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast assymetry

+1

Without images, it is impossible to say what your options are.  I assume that the DD side is sagging a bit and the C side is not.  The DD side may need a lift and small reduction.  The smaller side may need an implant to match the lifted and reduced side.  I do not think that you need two surgeries to achieve your goal.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

+1

Best to post photos so we can advise from our experience. It would be a poor guess to answer your question without these photos. Please post. 

In almost all women with breast asymmetry, it is best to operate on both breasts.

+1

Hi.

1)  I have learned that you tend to get the best long term results by treating both breasts.

2)  Without seeing you, I would guess You need a lift of the smaller breast (possibly with a small implant at the same time), and a lift with a small reduction of your larger breast.

3)  I suspect your larger breast is already sagging more, and if it is treated just with liposuction, this asymmetry will get worse.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast asymmetry

+1

This is a very common problem.  While all women have some degree of asymmetry, most do not have a significant enough difference to consider  surgery.  Each and every patient must be evaluated individually.  The most difficult issue to correct is usually shape.  If one breast is significantly larger than the other, it is also likely to be sagging--or ptotic.  Simply placing an implant in the smaller breast will not achieve acceptable symmetry.  The larger breast must also be reduced and/or lifted.  A decision must be made as to what is the most acheivable size with reasonable symmetry.  This is something to discuss in detail with your plastic surgeon.  Two procedures may be required to achieve your goals.  Best wishes.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon