Accutane 3 Months So Far; What's an Appropriate Time to Finish?

Hello everyone ! first of all I would like to thank you for giving me this opportunity so my name is Walid i'm 19 , i've been on accutane for 2 months and 3 weeks and i seee a good improvement on my face so far my degree 15 mg and i was on 20 mg ... i have some questions !! whats the appropriate time in order to finish this drug? and what should i do to cure my redness and scars ? may acne come back again ?

Time frame for Accutane

+2

Hello Walid,  I follow the guidelines to dose Isotretinoin (Accutane) by weight.  I start at 0.5mg / kg and dose up to 2mg / kg.  Maximum dose is cummulative at 150mg / kg.   For example, an 80 kg male would start at 40mg per day.  I could give him a maximum dose of 160mg / day, but I usually go slow with less side effects.  His total dose is 12,000mg.   If he takes 40mg a day (1200mg), then it will take 10 months of treatment. 

The red areas are most likely hyperpigmentation and should fade as you heal.  I tell my patients you might need further treatment for your skin because the gland that is affected by the drug renews itself.  You are 19, so most likely when you are 25, the worst is over. 

I hope I answered your question clearly, good luck.

Salt Lake City Dermatologist