Can skin grafting on upper eyelid fix the problem and produce favorable cosmetic result? (photos)

It has been almost 3 months since my upper eyelid surgery - a disaster as my PS removed too much skin. My eyes don't close at rest and am being followed by a specialist. He told me that I may have to so some skin grafting to get the extra flexibility and to enhance my look. Right now I look like a freak and have to put drops on the hour and a very thick ointment at night. Not pleasant!

Too much upper lid skin removed

+2
  • I am sorry about this unfortunate problem,
  • I am glad you are seeing a specialist,
  • Wait at least 6 months before skin grafts,
  • They are not done for cosmetic purposes but to allow the eye to close so that it is properly protected.
  • The eye drops and ointment are important. Keep them up.

Too early - supportive cures for now

+2
Totally understand your concern but I would agree that it's still too early to take her to surgery. You should wait at least six months. I'm the meantime you can continue with artificial tears and massage your eyelids in a downward direction to improve and break the scarring and increase their mobility. Most of these problems Heal spontaneously within the first six months. Only then would think about surgical procedure to correct the problem

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lagopthalmous

+2
It is difficult to determine the degree of lagopthalmous (inability to close the eye) based on your pictures alone.  Skin grafting in necessary in some circumstances but it is too early to consider surgical intervention. Lagaopthalmous tends to improve over time - at a minimum of 6 months.  In the meantime taping the lids, ointments and/or a moisture chamber can all be used to mitigate the dryness at night time.  Massage can help to soften the scar tissue.  The waiting time can seem frustrating, but patience is important in this type of circumstance.  See a board certified plastic surgeon if you are in need of a second opinion. 

Christopher Khorsandi, MD