Are my eyelid incisions too high? I am very worried. What to do? (Photo)

I had eyelid surgery 8 days ago, I know I'm still swollen however I am very concerned about where my incision is ... (see photo) it seems to be too high and not in the crease of my eyelid. I am very worried :(( What to do?

Your upper eyelid incision is a little high.

+3
You usually want the incision to be in the normal crease which is usually at about 8-10 mm above the lashes. You also want to keep at least 10mm of skin between the incision and the brow hair.  These incision usually heal pretty nicely so hopefully in time you won't see it. 

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Textbook too high.

+3
Yes those plastic surgery text books describe the upper eyelid incision as needing to be place too high.  Often they describe that the incision should be marked at 10 mm above the eyelashes.  With healing this can stretch up to 12 mm.  This is too high.  I general recommend to the residents I train to place the upper blepharoplasty incision in women at 7 to 8 mm.  In your case, the incision look like the are 14 mm above the lashes.  At this point, all one can really do is let the tissues heal.  With time, this harsh appearance often does soften.  If not, there are options available.  Hopefully you will not find it necessary to explore these.

Bleph stitches

+2
You should have your stitches removed and then over the next few weeks / months the scars will settle. You still have swelling and once the upper lid settles the scar will hopefully be in the natural crease and be hidden. Upper bleph scars heal very well and it is uncommon for these scars to be troublesome long term.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid incisions too high

+2
  • In your photo, the incisions appear slightly high but a lot depends on how things looked before surgery
  • And on the effects of the sutures.
  • You will probably heal fine and look as well as feel much better once sutures are removed -
  • And it is definitely time to remove them.
  • Every surgeon does things differently - I generally place the incision at the natural tarsal crease unless my patient wants the crease moved higher or lower. I use measurements as a general guide but rely on individual measurement, anatomy and personal goals to set the crease.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Are my eyelid incisions too high? I am very worried. What to do?

+2
Only 8 days!!! Appears as you still have suture in, which is troubling. But over the next few months I believe your result will be very good...