Fat Transfer to Cheeks to Correct Asymmetric 7 Yr Old Cheek Implants or Implant Removal in Addition to Fat Transfer/filler?

I had my cheek implants and buccal pad removal done when I was 24. I am now 31 and want a more natural appearance (one implant has shifted slightly creating noticeable asymmetry). Which procedure would you recommend? Leave implants in and supplement the asymmetry with fat transfer to make them look more natural or remove the implants and add filler or fat to correct any sagging skin?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the photos provided, the cheeks are quite flat anteriorly (in the front) and too high laterally making the face appear angular and elongated.  The cheek implants can be augmented in the front but not with fat transfer or injections as these do not give results that are predictable.  Instead I prefer using Perlane as the filler to shape the face.  Once could make the aesthetic argument to remove these implants, if they are silastic, and replace with an aesthetic shaped set of cheek implants.  The chin is also very weak which makes the lower face out of balance.  Chin Augmentation can be done at the same time with a chin implant.  Hope this helps.

Options for Correction of Cheek Implant Asymmetry

+1

There are advantages and disadvantages to either approach. But if you like the look the cheek implants create, it would be more predictable to either adjust the one asymmetric cheek implant or supplement it with fat grafting. Removing the implants and trying to achieve the same look will not happen with fat grafts or fillers as their volumetric push effect is different than the more firmer push of an implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD